• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

TeeBee Placketts have gone from Stapleford, their drivers were from another planet, they drove so close together on the M1 that they seemed to be coupled like a railway train, if you overtook one you had to overtake the whole fleet! The dockworkers were the hardest worked people in Stabbo. I'm curious about a company called SPD speedy prompt delivery, used to deliver Heinz stuff to Tesco in the sixties, were they from Nottingham? very civil drivers.

• Upvote 1

#192 I thought it was scientifically planned deliverys they used to run TK Bedfords I think they had a depot on Glaisdale

• 2 months later...

My Granfather started Placketts and after his death in 1958 my Aunt took over till her death in 1981 when her son was going to take over

Placketts were also a very large firm of Parcels carriers - believe they had depot at Staplefored, but not sure if they're still around.
They worked a 24 hour operation for sorting and distribution from modern premises and with modern automated systems (for the time).
But (working for their Insurers at the time) I sometimes had to discuss security ideas with them.
Although they had the latest in alarm systems, and vehicle alarms, I also found that they had gone back to an idea from the time of Roman Britain for a back up alarm system.
They kept a small flock geese in the yard. The noisiest and most effective alarm system - should they be disturbed by any intruder in the night!

Boots had fords- saxbys had commors- atlas express tk's- home ales had fodens - wests had erf- stirlands had aec and erf- watts had dodge- dakins had guys and bedfords- who had globetrotters and scanias??

• 2 months later...

I've recently seen Hensons wagons in Basford. I'll note what make they are next time. I seem to remember the last on I saw was a white curtain sided rigid, with bits of green on it.

I recall Smiths of Eccles from ages ago, but not seen anything recently.

As was James Irlam who I believe were taken over by Stobarts.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some interesting stuff here.

I have worked for three haulage company's in Nottingham, James Gamble and Son at Carlton, Brickyard Road, I think, I used to cycle up from Snienton to Bakersfield and cut through somewhere near St. Johns church. I was just turned fifteen and worked as a grease monkey, cleaning and maintaining the trucks, Atkinson's, AEC's, Leyland's etc. Jimmy had a contract with British Gypsum at Gotham, I learned to reverse trailers down there. Back at base drivers used to come into the yard eager for a cuppa in the on site café, I use to drive the trucks to the diesel pump and fill em' up and clean the screen and park em' up, the driver would usually give me a tip or a lift home.

A few years later after leaving the army I got a job with someone called Smith at Basford near the gasworks hauling coal from Linby to Wisbech, didn't stick this long, didn't like the slow lumbering Albion and its five speed box!

Next I moved on to Huskingsons and Son [Jess] at Bobbers Mill, slightly better trucks and a slightly more interesting run, usually Hull Docks for butter and pork, half pigs to be precise, occasionally Liverpool Docks or Manchester, I was even sometimes a "Hell Driver" driving a four wheel Dodge tipper, I was here until the laws came in introducing HGV tests, if I had stayed I would have been exempted from testing, I had been driving all classes for more than the prescribed period, but I left for something smaller, at first a Morris Minor pickup and then a Transit Pickup for Nottingham Electrical Repairs of Basford, just up from the Raven pub, handy for the early knock-off on a Friday!

I left this job to become a rock n roll super-star, but that is definitely another story!

PS: My sister has just informed me our dad, who I never knew, drove for a firm called Rhodes at Plantagenet Street, Leenside.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Father in law finished his working life at Stirlands, he was the shunter in Boots. I have seen the mother in law today and she has shown me a book about Stirlands, it is not a very posh book, it is a4 sized and almost like a home printed book. It is an excellent read for anyone that was concerned with Stirlands. There are lots of old photos, and old receipts,there is a copy of when the owner bought a new Jag.

The Jag was purchased from Cottee and Edwards, on Castle boulevard, I have not heard of this place before.