• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

H Sladen started out on Radford Blvd.

By the late 1990s the company had outgrown its Lincoln
St, Old Basford premises. H Sladen & Son Ltd moved to
a new purpose built depot which included extensive
warehouse, parking and garage facilities alongside
modern offices at Daniels Way, Hucknall.

History is here.

http://www.sladentransport.co.uk/resources/documents/Nostalgic%20Nottm%20H%20Sladen%20article.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had some dealings with Sladens Mick,late 80s or early 90s and i def. recall them having a yard or something on Palin st,although its not mentioned in their history,perhaps it was a place they rented temprolly (spell ?) during their expansion ?

In the '70s I lived two hundred yards from their yard on ...........................Palin Street. Was only a coal yard at that place, no haulage. They then moved to Lincoln Street I believe, that's when I did some work for them. Doing general haulage sub contracted to Stirlands, delivering pallets of dog & cat meat under contract for Pedigree Petfoods !

H. Sladen's son is one of my customers. (He has now retired). They are now on Daniels Way, Hucknall adjacent to JTF. Prior to that they were on Lincoln Street. I distinctly remember when I did my PSV with Trent Transport Training we went into their yard on Lincoln Street to fill up with diesel. They must have had an account with H. Sladen. That would have been March 1991. If they were on Palin Street it would be prior to them being on Lincoln Street.

Great to see that they are still going,Henson's was another company I can recall,working on a despatch dock you were in constant contact with drivers,I was known to use my body weight to crank the handbrake on a forty foot trailer,when the shunter popped his unit in and connected up and wound up the legs.. he'd pull and pull!! Some drivers would kop on and leave black rubber on the yard! Failing that a dead rat from the canal on a manifold or secreted in the cab..lovely!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not Nottingham haulage companies, but two I remember seeing locally in the 60's were SPD (Speedy prompt delivery) and Scheepens & Wells. Another popular one into the 70's was Swifts. Were they Wakefield based?

• Upvote 1

Prior to the Volvos Thompson Jewitt bought a fleet of Commer Maxiloads for it's Scandinavian operation.

The vehicles were powered by Tillings Stevens 3 cylinder - 6 piston - horizontally opposed - supercharged 2 stroke engines (TS3) I used to love these engines.

The air cleaners sat below the drivers seat opposite the inlet manifold and the fuel injection pump, so a broken injector pipe could spray directly into the air cleaner, this brought home the tech college theory of the rising characteristics of a diesel engine very clearly when it started revving uncontrollably.

Jewitts had the vehicles kitted out with winter packs, basically insulation kit surrounding the engine bay, a kettle for driver and studded tyres.

• Upvote 1

One of my first wagon driving jobs after I aquired my HGV licence was driving a Commer TS3 tipper, two stroke engine & Eaton two speed axle !

Basic wagon, no extra's or comforts, lovely sounding engine but greatly underpowered almost to the point of embarrassment.

Eaton two speed axle needed a bit of practice to get the hang of it, you had to remember what gear was selected, six gears X two rangers, high or low.

Idea was to start in a low range & change to high then low etc. as you progressed through the gears.

Later "splitter boxes" were much more simple, start in low range until top gear aquired, then start in lowest gear again after selecting high range first.

Much more simple.

Good example here.