Some single deck buses on Trent had Eaton Two speed axles, these were clapped out old buses of late '60s - early '70s used to ferry us Forest fans to away matches !

Didn't really matter when the odd window or two got smashed !

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

Later "splitter boxes" were much more simple, start in low range until top gear aquired, then start in lowest gear again after selecting high range first.

My apologies for appearing pedantic but what you're describing there is a "range change" box not a splitter. Totally different animal, as many a novice driver found to their embarrassment.

Same thing tho Scriv !

Same but different. Reason I said it could embarrass you was if you thought you had a splitter box when you were driving a range-change, and inadvertently flipped it into high range too soon, you ended up "catching a crab" as they say in rowing and stalling the motor. Specially embarrassing pulling up out of Stanton Ironworks with a full rack of pipes on, ask me how I know!

Hardest ones to remember were the Fuller Road-ranger 9-speeds fitted to both ERF's and Seddon-Atkinsons in the late 1970's; same box but opposite gate, the ERF's were back-to front opposed to the Sedd-Ack. Given that the cabs and dash layout were virtually identical it could easily fool you if you were constantly hopping from one to t'other. You weren't supposed to be able to force the box into low range over a given speed, but one of Bill Kelly's drivers managed it, ripped the propshaft clean off and through a fuel tank. Bill blamed me for not tightening the propshaft bolts, was none too pleased when I marched into his office,dumped the offending prop (complete with gearbox flange still firmly bolted on) on his desk ,and sent his tea flying, to prove it was driver error.

Nottm City Council used Pagefields in the late 50's - early 60's. I haven't a clue as to who made those.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info Catfan. Do you remember Maudsleys and JNSN' too ? They were both rarities in the 50's.

I used to survey all the Goose Fair trucks and busses. Even into the sixties, there were some oddities. Old Leylands, Albions, ERF, Fodens, Bristol, Guys . Some brilliant old bus examples too.

Have you ever visited the Transport Museum at Leyland in Lancashire. A great day out.

• Upvote 1

Give Leyland a go. It'll be a nice day out in the summer.

• Upvote 1

Catfan #241 re # 238

I didn't drive these vehicles I repaired them and loved the engines for their simplicity and unique design.

The knocking was normally the sign of worn rocker arms which transmitted the power from piston to crank, they would run forever even when knocking.

Generally lack of power was because it required a decoke which was a simple and quick job.

• Upvote 1

Re #257, you've got a damn good memory if you can remember those Ian. I think they ceased work at the Vic in 68 with the closure.

There were Scammell Mechanical Horses too, but I believe they were prior to the Karriers.

• Upvote 1

Yes Dave, they were. Ugly little beggars.

Used extensively by British Rail Parcels I think, bloke on Palin Street used to drive one & spent more time parked outside his house !

Not the usual fifth wheel coupling either, bit of a weird setup.

Not the easiest to reverse, trailer too small.

Those karriers had couplings at the rear,I recall seeing them outside Vic Hotel with cases and bags on creeled trailers,later I think they were all yellow saw them flying about near Wilford Road. Smaller four wheeled Karriers were at markets in those times too.

Those couplings were called "Scammell couplings"; they were ideal for that job because the design did away with the necessity for the driver to wind the legs up and down, thus making changing trailers much quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned Scheepens and Wells and SPD some time ago. Well here's a few more to jog your memory.

Not Nottm based, but seen regularly in the area.

Lloyds of Ludlow, navy blue I believe. Protheroes of Porthcawl, maroonish. Onward, pale green from West Yorkshire I think.

Ackworth, pale green again, just off the A1 near Leeds. Cowburn & Cowper, maroon Scammell artic molasses tankers. Always parked up at the filling station at Ollerton island.

A Nottm one was Tomlinson's. Green and black. Did a lot of work for Players I believe.

• Upvote 2

I don't know who operated those. Was it Wincanton. It wasn't the local one, that's Eastons. Maroon with silver tanks and trailers.