• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

You could be spot on there Catfan.

You could be spot on there Catfan.

IIRC Newton's lorries were dark blue with maroon pinstriping. Very similar livery to Amos Meer of Ilkeston; one of whose lorries I saw down here in West Wales t'other day, good to see they're still going.

• Upvote 1

Anybody remember Steads who parked their dark blue lorries on some ground opposite the Capitol Cinema on Churchfield Lane?

Crikey, I remember them in the early to late 50's .

If it is the same Steads, they had a garage on the main road opposite Cheltenham Street, Old Basford. I remember them being there immediately after the war, so they might have been there before the war.

So many memories on that bit of google,..........Steads,Steads house,Nellie Bisbies,Pearsons where my Mother worked,St.Aidens church where my parents got married,Marrlows chip shop,and a shop on the corner (now a house) who always displayed a team picture of Forest from the 50s,Park Tavern my old local and next door to which my Dad was born.............

• Upvote 2

On the corners of Cheltenham Street, opposite Steads, was Falconbridge's shop and on the other a store that used to sell penny drinks - big deal for me when I was a little lad - coloured water mainly. A couple of houses along was Charlie Rigley, the local milkman. He used to ladle the milk into grandma's jug. I remember one bonfire night, the fire was in the middle of the street, young chaps fetched a large container of old sump oil to pour on the fire before it was lit. When the fire was blazing away, people used to keep feeling the temperature of their windows. At the top of the street was Perkin's beer-off. It is still there, and just down from Falconbridge's was the chip shop; that's still there. And yes, our parents got married in St Aidan's.

The Google picture of Southwark Street school brings back memories. First school I went to.

• Upvote 2

It's amazing what memories are rekindled on a topic about haulage and wagons. Brilliant guys!

• Upvote 1

Thinking about it,you could take a hundred yard stretch of anywhere in Nottingham and it would conjur up Nottstalgic memories from most of us,......so whilst some of say 'we are bound to run out of topics i don't think we ever will.............

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the picture again cliff-ton,...........don't know what year it was taken,i would suspect 30s ?,interesting to note the two churches are still standing (as churches) St.Aidens and the Queensbury rd Baptists,and the two Pubs Park Tavern and the Pear Tree..........and what makes it even more interesting for me i can almost make out the cottages where Dad was born,

No,but thanks anyway cliff-ton..............another good photo.............

• 1 month later...

You could see (and hear) Placketts security geese in the compound from the A52. Thanks for that memory - I had completely forgotten that until you jogged the memory. I have a vague feeling that Tom Coyne did a feature about the geese on BBC's Midlands Today

• 2 weeks later...

Triggs of Berridge Rd. They had premises through to Bobbers Mill Rd I believe. Red wagons late 50's.