• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

I used to see their trucks when I attended FFGS, as I used to go up Berridge, and home via Bobbers Mill.

I think fly has touched on this previously, when I went to Goose Fair in my teens- it was to Kop the Albions and Guys..behind the rides!

Lorry interest started when i used to love those Dakins wagons parked on Talbot St.near Pope & Parr.

Then I lived opposite Marshalls...heaven.

Funny the Guy Warrior was my first love,then some old bloke with a bad limp delivered peat moss to Dennis and Roberts in a Petrol S- type Bedford..begged him for a spin"can't do it son" was his reply.

Then when they started to build Vic Centre Taylor Woodrow used them horrible Ford Custom cabs..yuk!!

They surely were cr$p Ian, I took & passed my test in one !

Couldn.t wait to get the behind the wheel of a proper wagon !

Started with a Scammel (plastic cab) then a Guy BigTJ4.

Aged 21, knew it all (or so I thought) but what an era to have lived in.

Nostalgia at it's finest Ian !

Don't believe everything you hear Ian !

Loads of power, used extensively by coal hauliers, if underpowered then they had been governed a bit too much.

Old time wagons you mention were also used extensively by HM Forces. You couldn't pull a low loader with a tank on the back if the unit was a Ford or a Bedford TK hellothere

Guy Invincibles were my favourite. Plus Leyland, Foden, ERF and Albion. Great days.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just remembered another company seen regularly along the ring road. Smith & Van Hee.

Not Nottm based I believe, maybe the north east. Any ideas folks?

Brilliant Catfan, I nearly wet myself with excitement at the old Volvo, pic 1.

It reminded me of haveing to sheet up and rope on cold, wet frosty days with no gloves.

• Upvote 1

How did you know that fiddling Scotch git? I used to work for him! unsure.gif

Bill Kelly's yard, when I was with him, was in Langley Mill, off Cromford Road.

Bill wasn't a bad lad actually, broke every rule in the transport book but he did help me through a very rough patch.

Did you know that when Bill died he went to Wilford Hill in his cofin on the back of one of his trucks ,Just thought you might like to know .

Those couplings were called "Scammell couplings"; they were ideal for that job because the design did away with the necessity for the driver to wind the legs up and down, thus making changing trailers much quicker.

My Father had a bull nose Bedford with a Scammell coupling witch had a twenty foot traylor and was on a contract to boots at beeston, He worked for T J HEMM of henry road West Bridgeford who sold out to Rankin & sons of the Medows ,Who got took over by a Mr Less Sutton who ran Sutton & Sons later known as S & S Transport ,Then later changed to NOTTS & LINCS transport and yes i did a spell for notts and lincs when they had a yard just over Colwick crossing as a driver tramping all over the uk,

Changing the topick Tommlinson was the only firm with a contract from players His yard was on Glasedale drive, By now i had my own trucks Known as Hambleton Haulage and was also working for players, But most of the time i was running to Stirling in Scotland Loaded both ways up with bacco and back with offal for the bond on Tryamph road, Then Tomlinson lost some of his work but as he had a contract players had to find him work so i lost some of my Stirling work to him, So in the end i went on Middle East transport with two trucks, The photo my son has on here of a truck is one of mine , Just look for steelcowboy lol, Also never had a company called R & T transport that was a company in Spitalfields Market who i did move some veg for,.Anothe guy who worked with me was a guy called Chris Hill who had a Daf truck and bill Kelly also. This might look abit garbled but i am now going blind and deaf But stll around at 82 years old and remembers the past.

• Upvote 4

Did you know that when Bill died he went to Wilford Hill in his cofin on the back of one of his trucks ,Just thought you might like to know .

A fitting gesture. Some might have considered Bill a bit of a "cowboy" but he was an old-school transport man through and through. I liked the bloke, and there's not many gaffers I'd ever say that about.

• 3 weeks later...