On 20/11/2008 at 6:47 PM, firbeck said:

Wasn't BRS on Triumph Road next to the Players Bonded Warehouse, I may be imagining this but I'm sure a loading bay was still in situ when I cut down there a few months ago, probably student accomodation now.

I liked the pics of the Barton gas buses and cars, I bet the drivers still smoked then, a Park Drive flicked out the window could have had interesting results on a windy day.

The site used to belong to Donaldson wrights transport untill BRS took them over, Was only a family run firm. As for interesting results on a windy day . I had a close shave when i worked for T-J-Hemm of West Bridgeford, with a load of ammo from Old dalby to Scottland the Ammo was just sideboard high and covered with a sheet and ropes, Them days i smoked Park drive, and with the finished fag I had thrown the nub out of the window, gets home and parked the truck at the back of the Wheatsheaf pub at Bobbers mill, walked to my home on cyril avenue to get some kip before i set of at midnight,Anyway the local shop keeper came knocking on the door saying that my truck was on fire , The sheet was smoking , Me and Mr west had to cut the ropes and drag the sheet off, By now the police was with us, I got told off and Tony Hemm give me the sack as i did not notify the police  of the fackt my truck was loaded with ammo .P/s if we had not got the sheet off i think there would have been a very big Bang . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

A mate of mine was a civillian driver at the TA place on Triumph Road years ago. One of his regular runs was to deliver a load to Tilbury Docks. He always told when asked what he was carrying  at the dock security gate that he was carrying ammo !

That little porky got his wagon unloaded pronto everytime !

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sid Widdowson had coal lorrys all six wheelers and had a yard or might say garage on Persey Street  Basford Nr Bar Lane, And when i drove for him he had copntracts with Smiths Canal Street And a firm called Stevensons from Linconshire , He used to buy his trucks from Brownhills Motor Sales Nr Walsall in the west midlands, Here is a photo of his garage, Sorry can not add photo has its to big , P/s will try to srink it down for next time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another non Notts firm you may remember Catfan is TWIL. Tinsley Wire Industries Ltd. Sheffield I presume. 

Used JNSN's at one time.

Yep, K&M had the bulk tanker (powder section) & bulk coal tippers. Their yard is now on the aerodrome industrial estate off Watnall Road in Hucknall.

Now I think just general haulage work.

• Like 1

I thought Ruddington, but not sure of the Shell station.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that K&M had coaches at one time, based, I think, on Berridge Road, or thereabouts.

Could be K & M Gagg of Bunny who were active in the 1980s and 1990s and seem to have run at least one route into Nottingham post-deregulation:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:K_%26_M_Gagg_(bus_company)

Photo here:

http://www.nextstopproductions.co.uk/store/p1637/F181JFW1.html

• Upvote 1

Post 332,Quite right Mike,It was only within the last couple of week I read about a cement tanker that over pressurised on discharge because of a blockage and boom the tanker exploded and shot about 30 tons of cement into the atmosphere,I think the pictures and write up were on a website called "safe quarry.com"

Rog

• Upvote 1

I remember a cement tanker discharging at Basford concrete plant back in the 90's when I was fitting for RMC aggregates,when I turned onto Radford road from Wilkinson street all I could see was a grey cloud heading towards Shipstones building covering everything in cement dust including the car sales place accross the road from the readymix plant,spent the rest of the day washing all the cars in the show room and on the forecourt,the tanker driver was in a rush to get back to his base in Rugby so thought it would be a good idea to increase the engine revs and pump to get the job done quicker,he never helped cleaning the cars either (moron)

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/10/2016 at 8:14 AM, iandawson said:

Wonder if Keith knew my old J&H and Jimmy Gambles driver,Dave Morroll?

He had some cracking stories of wagon driving in the 50's and 60's..racing back to the Sun pub on a Friday!

I only knew one driver for J & H and that was REG Hunt lol

• 4 weeks later...

Heanor Heavy Haulage with a Gypokrombi 78 ton tracked mobile crusher

2008_06110002_zps8hxzy2nf.jpg

I know it's not a Nottingham haulier but it's not all that far away

Rog

• Upvote 2

We do tend to get big stuff on site in our industry Mike,I remember having to fit a drive gearbox to that crusher (could'nt get a fitter in to do it) had to drive the whole machine up onto some railway sleepers (three high) in order for me to get underneath (no comments about my size please) the gearbox weighed in at 1/4 ton,had to lift it using a small trolly jack,once the top bolt was in the whole box had to be swung up from the bottom to enter the bottom bolts,spent all morning on me back on a cold wet quarry floor,forgot all about that though when the machine fired into life and everthing worked a treat.happy days

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1