• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

Couple more for you NBL. CAT 330 Bl long reach excavator,18 mtr boom

CAT%20330_zpsrt0rovdk.jpg

My son not looking too impressed with the new Komatsu wheeled loading shovel

Hill%20Head%2007%201-7%206_zpsdgorb7oc.j

Rog

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that, some nice kit there. Brother in Law was foreman plant fitter at Hindlow just up the road from Hillhead before retirement.

Back when I was at Tunstead a lot of the kit was Canadian made but darned if I can remember the name. I squirmed in as a plant fitters mate working on the cement plant. There were plans to change the kilns to gas fired but I left before that happened when I found out that in order to get on you had to have ICI through your body like a stick of rock.

Catfan,They are tied down real tight using heavy chains and ratchet torque arms plus 30 odd ton don't slide too easy on a wooden deck,in saying that though you do need a skillful and steady lorry driver as well,they have been known to slide off the trailer if not tied down too well,makes a bloody mess in the road

Rog

• Upvote 1

Steered through a complex system of hydraulic valves and reduction valves operated from the front of the trailer when the tractor unit turns,a lot of long trailers and some coaches now have rear steer,a lot of vehicles now have got longer but the bends in the roads are the same radius as they have been since the roads were built so rear steer is one answer to the problem of getting the things round.

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Taxi Ray, your post at 214 above, are there any pictures in mother-in-laws book of the Dakins Building on Talbot Street ?,

Researching that building for a long time, some great help on here already but  that book is new on me , would love to read it,

any chance ?

Regards, Terry

I don't doubt the story of a tanker blowing up but can't see how. The tanks were pressurised by a rootes blower driven by a PTO off the gearbox and only pressured the tank to around 13lbs a squinch. They had pressure relief valves that you could 'fiddle' for a few extra lbs but enough to blow the tank? Seems doubtful. I do know that the silos they discharged into had crude filters and you could certainly blow them with the resulting great cloud of powder releasing into the atmosphere. If the load is slaked lime.. and the weather is damp... and there is a car park full of workers cars... Well lets just say the insurance company were not happy bunnies.

Fogrider,

I don't remember seeing any photos of that building, was Stirlands involved with it?

The book although being a proper book, looks like a home made jobbie. I will have a look at it over the weekend, and see if there is any relevant info.

If you are interested  I could probably scan the pages and e-mail them to you. Some of the photos and illustrations look like they have been photocopied, so the quality is not the best.

Thanks Taxi Ray, I believe it was Stirland and Dakin, then just Dakins removals and storage. I assume Stirlands went their own way with transport, Dakins with storage so it's possible there will be very little about the building on Talbot Street, but, it will be good of you to check , any reference will be of interest.

Regards, Terry.

Brew,not sure what the details are but the tanker over pressured,the compressor is/was run from an external engine and pumped at 2 Bar (30psi) the blow off valve failed and the compressor carried on pumping,this is the result,how to let everyone have a share of 29t cement

oops_zpst7g8myz4.jpg

Rog

Oh wow! I've never seen anything like that,  the pressure must have been immense even considering it failed along the weld lines. The compressor engines I've seen used on that type of tank (popularly known as 'pigs' from the discharge outlet arrangement) were Ford diesels, Petter diesels and VW Beatle petrol.

Thanks for the pic, that's one to save.

• Upvote 1
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:02 PM, plantfit said:

Heanor Heavy Haulage with a Gypokrombi 78 ton tracked mobile crusher

2008_06110002_zps8hxzy2nf.jpg

I know it's not a Nottingham haulier but it's not all that far away

Rog

Just been told that Heanor Haulage are getting rid of the heavy side of the business.

http://www.malcolmharrison.co.uk/auctions/heanor-haulage-ltd.aspx

• 7 months later...

I noticed the starting handle hole in front of the cab just above the number plate,did anyone ever swing one of them things to start a lorry? seen similar on some of the older buses too

Rog

You certainly would need to have eaten more than three shredded wheat to swing start of those. Did they have some sort of decompression? I once hired a diesel dump truck and was having trouble in swing starting the diesel. Just then the local vicar appeared on the scene and asked if he could could help. I told him to get down on his knees and pray whilst I swung it. Guess what - it started! He almost had a convert that day!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Crikey, one of my old Land Rovers, YCH340H was bad enough. Had a few whacks and bruises, but finally learned to turn it just to the point of resistance, then give it a swift turn, and hopefully let go in time.

At the old company I worked for we had a four cylinder Ruston diesel engine coupled to a generator in case of mains power loss,that had a starting handle,we needed to run this thing one day but the batteries were flat and there was no way of charging it because the mains power was off,I stepped in to swing it using the handle,took me all my time to turn the engine over with the de-compressor taps open,when I did get a few revs going my mate threw the taps over and it all but threw me through the wall,never again did I step in with the saying "come out the way I'll show you",the electrician took the batteries home and charged them up there,Thinking about it now the starting handle could have just been used to turn the engine over slowly for maintenance purposes,ie: adjusting tappets etc

Rog

• Like 1