Don't think they got permission for that, I did see Dick Denby with it and one of his drivers about ten years ago trying it out on the old RAF Swinderby airfield (which belongs to the company I worked for) it looked very impressive and it was quite manouverable, but mainly for continental roads not ours, I knew I should have got some pictures of it at the time, oh well win some lose some

I see thanks to photobucket we have lost some of the heavy haulage pics I put on, I'll resurrect them when I find them

Rog

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

It would be about ten years ago when I saw it pictured on their website. There was a video showing, and it looked like an old airfield.

I assumed that permission was refused. It looked good though.

Just Googled it, and it's still shown on their website entitled Denby Extra, and says its for continental usage as its 25 mtrs long.

A few transport pics if anyone interested

cattle_grid_pics_(1).jpg

DAF CF that used to run out of Attenborough quarry

DSCF4223.jpg

Hino,on its first run from Tattershall quarry (belongs to Neil Fox of Fox Bros,Not Fox Owmby Lincs)

DSCF4696.jpg

Unipower fitted with a Gardener oil engine

Gipo_mobile_crusher_(3).jpg

Volvo low loader with Gypocrombi crusher on the back

picture_1_340.jpg

New weighbridge being delivered to Norton Disney quarry

SED_08_(3).jpg

Preserved Priestman excavator

Rog

• Like 1

The low loader with crusher evokes sad memories, as I passed the site of a fatal crash near Thorpe, whilst the A46 was being reorganised several years ago. I passed the following day. Evidently, the driver was travelling from Bath to Lincoln, but it was never explained why it ran off the road. It caught fire too if I remember correctly.

Thames Trader,pain in the butt to work on,a lot of the Sneinton fruit and veg market company's had them in the late 60's when I was an apprentice,always ended up working on and under the things,no room around the engine to work which was from either inside the cab or underneath,good fun though

2010_07242010Heckington0033.jpg

2008_0917Extec0007.jpg

A proper engine, CAT non road use diesel, I think this one is a C9-3B rated at 456 BHP max

Rog

• Like 1

I've driven Thames Traders, wire spoked steering wheel that vibrated and shook, gear shift that required another joint in your arm, heater... what heater?  :(

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

By the time I got into driving, heaters were pretty much standard though their efficiency was often suspect. Mention of the draught created by a perished gear lever gaiter, though, brought back memories of a minor disaster when I was working for Rainbows of Southwell.

In those days (late 1980's) I was an occasional pipe smoker; Rainbow's fleet was exclusively Bedford, and as anyone who's ever driven a TK will know, there is nowhere on the dashboard to rest a pipe once it's gone out; not unless you want it on the cab floor within seconds. My pipe died on me one day whilst trundling along the A46 towards Lincoln, refused to re-ignite, so I stuffed it in the left pocket of my donkey jacket and cadged a cigarette off my mate Dennis instead. As we were slowing down for North Hykeham, I noticed a distinct burning smell which gradually got worse; on pulling up at a set of lights, I discovered that the blast of air through the perished gaiter had re-ignited my pipe and burned a hole in my jacket pocket.

• Upvote 1

Slightly off-topic; but one of the big selling points of early 1970's Japanese cars was that they came fully equpped with stuff like radio, fag lighter, heated rear window and all the stuff that buyers of British cars had to fork out extra for.

The most ridiculous fad was during the mid 1970's when there was a "race to the bottom" amongst the likes of Ford and vauxhall for the "economy" models, some of which even lacked a passenger sun visor. I say ridiculous because they actually cost more to make.

Just sat and read the post what a lot of knowledge you all have.

Welcome to all new members hope to read more of your post's.

My dad would have loved reading all the post as he was a Knight of the Road, he learnt to drive during the war but never did pass his test, one of the firms he drove for was Lindley & Lindley Bobbers Mill Works Nottingham I have a reference from them for my father who was applying for another job. It states that he was a driver of light and heavy lorries. A teetotal and a non smoker (not true) but it sounds good.

Going back to haulage firms I can remember one up the Wells Road St Ann's Well Road Nottingham  I think it was at the top of Colborn Street, can't remember it's name.  A member mentioned Metalbox was this a firm on Watnall Road in Hucknall.?

• Like 3

I too have just read all this topic Mary.............and as you say 'what a lot of knowledge' people on here have,......i'm not at all interested in Lorries or haulage companies,but i read most things,and its obviously a popular topic......your ref to Wells road i think was possibly BRS depot,.........which i remember from my 6 months as a Van-lad at Midland Station,.......then i found the beauty of Marsdens and ''can i help you Madam''.......lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Scriv said:

Slightly off-topic; but one of the big selling points of early 1970's Japanese cars was that they came fully equpped with stuff like radio, fag lighter, heated rear window and all the stuff that buyers of British cars had to fork out extra for.

The most ridiculous fad was during the mid 1970's when there was a "race to the bottom" amongst the likes of Ford and vauxhall for the "economy" models, some of which even lacked a passenger sun visor. I say ridiculous because they actually cost more to make.

My first Anglia had the optional heater.

And yet, for many car, a full-sized spare wheel is now deemed an optional extra. I had to argue with the dealer I bought my latest car from that a can of gunk was not acceptable, but they wanted me to fork out another £300 if I wanted a proper spare. In the end, I agreed to a "free" space-saver.

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

your ref to Wells road i think was possibly BRS depot

It was indeed BRS (British road services) they used to trundle past our café on st Ann's well rd mostly at night.

Neither of our cars has a a spare wheel but if a problem occurs we just have to press a button above the windscreen and we can speak to the “assistance” who will allegedly come out and change a wheel. Not sure that it would arrive quickly in the north of Scotland but there is a bottle of gunk and a compressor if all else fails. 

Yes, I did. The specialty ones were difficult to see though. The green parcels ones, and the dark blue ones.

11 hours ago, Commo said:

Talking of BRS, did anyone else have an Ian Allen type spotters book for their wagons?

Yes I did, and still have. I posted a picture of it a while back; if you can find it.

16 hours ago, Commo said:

Because of the depot on Wells Rd we found Commercial Square a good spot to camp out.

Don't suppose you called in to my grand café (Nora's café) for a cuppa  did you?

It wouldn't have cost much, 3d for a tea, she had the café from  1952 until demolition, it was originally Harry's café, until he died in 61 then name change. My grandad actually won the café in a game of card's!!