On 2/3/2019 at 11:13 PM, meeowed said:

Anyone remember Andrews haulage I believe it was the firm that Clearways took over from when they were on triumph road meeowed

Their yard was off Wilford Road I believe, a bus diver mate left there to come back n the buses.

W.E. Andews. Ltd  !

• Like 2
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

they used to pick up a trailer at canterbury it was a tight schedual because some ran out of hours at leicester forest and they wouldnt pay a night out you were told bring it in  They had the old british waterways wharehouse on wilford road we used to carry calor gas and heaters it was a marvellous wharehouse solid oak inside  meeowed

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Good set of drivers too, they used to come into the quarry I worked at, always friendly with well turned out lorries

Rog

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, IAN123. said:

The rental depot down Lenton?7603511768-7fd976e13e-c.jpg

Castle Meadow Road. used to do a bit for them when I was with Mayday; bloke called Keith McEnallen was the manager.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Cheers Scriv...never forgot Mayday Agency!

Kevin was a bit of a lad wasn't he? Mind you, the pay rates might have been rubbish but they were always better than Staffline, and Mayday always kept me in work.

Used to do a lot for BRS,  Carrington Street , Langley Mill and even Melton Mowbray; Randalls, Fords, Parceline, Clearway and a load of others.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Reivers, and Claymores, but I think there was another model out too. Any ideas ?

Sounds appropriate Brew.

• 2 months later...

img20190807-12594940.jpg

I know this shouldn't be on this thread but cannot find where to post it. This is the lorry I used to drive When I worked for F.H.Whittle.,Bulwell. They were green in those days, but when Grove garage bought him out thet painted them the colour shown. That's my dad behind the wheel, next, in the middle is his brother, my uncle Ken and on the left is Frank Fisher. Grove garage was on Gilead street, it was also a scrap yard.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Cheers Scriv, your right, Dodge 10 wheeler with twin speed axle. That's  about all I  can tell you. There was three lorries in the fleet, with a tare weight of six tons and gross weight of 26 tons. When I  worked there, it was me, my dad and a lad named Pete Anscombe I  believe. Used to carry bulk coal and on odd occasions we did contract work, e.g.stone ballast and once when delivering to Richardsons paper mill near Ascot, called in a scrap yard to pick up a load. The crane driver seemed to lift the complete weight in one lift and when I  unloaded in Notts., it was found i had three broken springs!! Worked on Rutland water for three days, moving spoil. I can always boast that I  helped to build that reservoir.  Beekay.

Not sure you have the terminology or configuration right BK but it's interesting stuff... Suffice to say if you went over the weighbridge at 26 tons it's not surprising you broke three springs!  :Shock:

Only drove em Brew, was told when loading, we could go up to 20 tons. On many occasions used load up with washed singles from Gedling colliery, then drive up the hill to the weighbridge at the top. If overloaded, could dispose the extra up there, but if under never bothered going back down for a bit more. Then it was off to FMS, Boston, (Farmers market supply) for delivery.

Re broken springs, it was the bloody idiot who dropped a complete load into the back! Thought at the time it went with a massive clunk. "That don't  sound too good" sez I. 

As an aside, our other driver, Pete, had hinged side boards on his lorry so when he went to Avenue coke ovens, he could put extra on, as he could never reach his maximum weight with coke. This he used to deliver to market gardeners in the Norwich area. Open the tail board and drop a bit here then move on to the next and do the same until empty. Poor bugger used his shovel a lot!

Those boards were called 'greedy boards'. My drivers used to pinch a barrow full of coke for home then spray the load with water to make up the weight. Dozy boggers thought I didn't know...  They soon found out when they saw their wages docked if they took it too far.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Those boards were called 'greedy boards'. My drivers used to pinch a barrow full of coke for home then spray the load with water to make up the weight. Dozy boggers thought I didn't know...  They soon found out when they saw their wages docked if they took it too far.

My old man worked for Hoveringham Gravels; when they were building the M62 the lorries used to run ballast up there and backload coal for Staythorpe, so they had greedy boards fitted. If the drivers were too late back they couldn't tip at the power station so they'd park up in Hoveringham yard and go back in the morning.

Dad got wind of this and decided a bit of free coal might be just the thing. One evening he "stayed on to finish a job" and once the coast was clear, bagged up some of the slack and took it home. No big lumps of course because it was blown in at the power station; however what he didn't know was that because it was high sulphur coal it was adulterated with slate or some other muck to slow the burn down, so when he banked our stove up that night it set in a crust and it took him ages to  dig it out!

2 hours ago, Scriv said:

it was adulterated with slate or some other muck

They used to use a lot of crushed limestone down mines to help prevent coal dust explosions turning into a fire, it acts as a flame retardant. 

They used to be a product called 'petro coke' . I don't know about now but back then they used coke as filters in refineries. The waste product was coke with a high petrol residue that was supposed to be mixed with standard coke, supposedly to make it easier to light'

Smarty pants here didn't mix it, just used it as it was. It lit quite easily with just a match but burned so hot it set the chimney on fire and burned the grate out. Not long after that they they stopped selling it... I wonder why...

• 1 month later...

Hello not posted anything on here before but this subject of companies with trucks puts me in there ,i used to work for H&S Distributors in longeaton in the 70's i was a truck driver there for many years until they went bust i use to love doing the night trunk down to london in the wagon and drag no engine restrictions in them days so we could get a bat on we delivered to just about every builders merchant in the uk we were always very busy never enough time to get it all delivered sometimes but we got on with it 35 trucks we had plus one or two agency when really busy hard to believe they when bust happy days i was only young then retired now but would do it all again cheers Steve

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1