• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, Beekay said:

54 gears !! Your bloody left arm would drop off before you'd  even reach anywhere near top.:shout:

They were Fuller 13 or 15 speed boxes running through a 4 range splitter. Engines were Detroits and they were Scammell Contractors not Antars, my mistake..

• 2 weeks later...

ha ha not counting then it will soon come round so enjoy it dont seem 5 mins and suddenly its gone but it is nice to choose what you want to do be glad when summer returns so i can get some travelling done at leisure ,back to Europe tomorrow think we are going to Germany with shop displays should have gone last week but they altered it ended up in Rome Christmas is coming and they all want there displays up catch you later cheers 

I have in the past been tempted to point out the odd grammatical error, then I re read some of my own posts with missed words, repeated sentences, poor syntax and cringe...

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely not an English tutor, in fact don't  understand half the phraseology. 

I have a couple of books by the author, Terry Darlington, "Narrowdog" etc., about his exploits with his dog on a narrowboat. 

He states at the begining, that he does  not use full stops, commas, exclamation marks, speech marks or owt else. It was a bit difficult at first but I soon got used to it. Nevertheless, brilliant narratives. Well worth reading and quite humorous. I would definitely recommend them. B.

• Upvote 1

sounds like an interesting read bk but probably quite hard working out what he is trying to say as punctuation makes the meaning much clearer if its used correctly its taken me twice as long as usual to type this out without using any because its second nature to me and the ipad kept trying to be helpful it probably thinks I'm having a mental breakdown or something although of course thats impossible or is it

• Like 2

Trust me Margie, they are great books. Terry Darlington puts his email address in so one can pass comments. As a narrow boater myself, I  emailed him to convey my appreciation of his books and he sent me a lovely reply. Never expected that.

That's  how I felt first time I got a response from Nottstalgians from my first posts. Couldn't  believe  I  was in contact with people Worldwide, including Ely.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Could have been worse. You could have been a nightmare ! But I'll gladly settle for a figment, I've enough nightmares to keep me going. (Like that bloody car of mine).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember S.W Whites of Bulwell they had the petrol station at Nuthall selling many different brands of petrol they were one of stations to sell JET petrol they had haulage contracts all over the country they used bedford and dodge lorries ,the sight was demolished in the early 60s to make way for the M1 it stood right where the motorway bridge is on Nottingham rd. Nuthall.

Ian Finn,

I remember this garage for Jet petrol sales at Nuthall. At the time I filled up I believe it was priced at three shillings and six pence per gallon. 

42 pence per gallon, equivalent to 9.3 pence per litre now!

Another Notts haulier i vaguely remember was Len Cave transport can not remember their location or lorries they had i was in the same class at the PCFE as his son in the early 60s he did tell me his father committed suicide i dont know why.Does anyone remember this company?

9 hours ago, denshaw said:

Three shilling and sixpence would have been 17 1/2 pence.

Denshaw  how did you work this out please ?   as i get it to 38 1/2 pence

nearly 4/- bob