Scriv

Nottingham Hauliers

They're  not full stops or 'comma's.

Got the apostrophe from predictive text.:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Beekay said:

Whatever happened to full stops and comma's?

Fcuk the grammar Police & what makes you special? Eh?  

• Like 2

I have in the past been tempted to point out the odd grammatical error, then I re read some of my own posts with missed words, repeated sentences, poor syntax and cringe...

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely not an English tutor, in fact don't  understand half the phraseology. 

I have a couple of books by the author, Terry Darlington, "Narrowdog" etc., about his exploits with his dog on a narrowboat. 

He states at the begining, that he does  not use full stops, commas, exclamation marks, speech marks or owt else. It was a bit difficult at first but I soon got used to it. Nevertheless, brilliant narratives. Well worth reading and quite humorous. I would definitely recommend them. B.

• Upvote 1

sounds like an interesting read bk but probably quite hard working out what he is trying to say as punctuation makes the meaning much clearer if its used correctly its taken me twice as long as usual to type this out without using any because its second nature to me and the ipad kept trying to be helpful it probably thinks I'm having a mental breakdown or something although of course thats impossible or is it

• Like 2

very good Margie please don't do it again        ;)

Trust me Margie, they are great books. Terry Darlington puts his email address in so one can pass comments. As a narrow boater myself, I  emailed him to convey my appreciation of his books and he sent me a lovely reply. Never expected that.

That's  how I felt first time I got a response from Nottstalgians from my first posts. Couldn't  believe  I  was in contact with people Worldwide, including Ely.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Does that include Utopia, little sis?

But your Avatar says that's  where your location is. Don't  tell me me you've  been having me on ?

It's in one of Colly's parallel universes, BK. I'm really just a figment of your imagination. Wouldn't mind betting there are plenty of people who wish I was a figment of theirs!

Could have been worse. You could have been a nightmare ! But I'll gladly settle for a figment, I've enough nightmares to keep me going. (Like that bloody car of mine).

Anyone remember S.W Whites of Bulwell they had the petrol station at Nuthall selling many different brands of petrol they were one of stations to sell JET petrol they had haulage contracts all over the country they used bedford and dodge lorries ,the sight was demolished in the early 60s to make way for the M1 it stood right where the motorway bridge is on Nottingham rd. Nuthall.

Ian Finn,

I remember this garage for Jet petrol sales at Nuthall. At the time I filled up I believe it was priced at three shillings and six pence per gallon. 

42 pence per gallon, equivalent to 9.3 pence per litre now!

Another Notts haulier i vaguely remember was Len Cave transport can not remember their location or lorries they had i was in the same class at the PCFE as his son in the early 60s he did tell me his father committed suicide i dont know why.Does anyone remember this company?

9 hours ago, denshaw said:

Three shilling and sixpence would have been 17 1/2 pence.

Denshaw  how did you work this out please ?   as i get it to 38 1/2 pence

nearly 4/- bob

I get it to 17.5 pence as well. 5p = 1shilling ×3 = 15 + 2.5p = 17.5p. I think that's how denshaw done it, mind you, we both went to Roland green so that might explain a few things !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Denshaw  how did you work this out please ?   as i get it to 38 1/2 pence

nearly 4/- bob

1 shilling = 5p. x 3 = 15p.  sixpence  = 2½p.  Add the two together and it comes to 17½p. I get same as Denshaw.

• Like 1

Mary, 38.1/2pence would equate to approx 7/6d. As a aside, when we first went decimal, my mum said, "It's alright changing to 100pence to the pound, I want to know who's had the other 140"??.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waddo said:

I get it to 17.5 pence as well. 5p = 1shilling ×3 = 15 + 2.5p = 17.5p. I think that's how denshaw done it, mind you, we both went to Roland green so that might explain a few things !!

I worked the cost prior to Decimal Day in 1971. There were 240 pence in one pound sterling. Twelve pence made a shilling, and twenty shillings made a pound, e.g. forty-two pence would be three shillings and six pence (3/6), in 'old money'.

42 pence divided by approximately 4.54 (litres per imperial gallon) = 9.25p. per litre.

Yes Alpha, your right with those maths,but you haven't allowed for the "government" twist, e.g. 2.4 old pence= 1 new pence. But because there was no .1 of a new penny they rounded up everything thereby gaining extra revenue. This swindle (my opinion) could possibly get shoved into the politics section. I said at the time we would lose out, but not knowing about politics and the devious ways, couldn't explain why. Let's have the Euro and see how we lose out again !!

57 minutes ago, Alpha said:

in 'old money'.

42 pence divided by approximately 4.54 (litres per imperial gallon) = 9.25p. per litre.

Wish my hourly rate went up by the same proportion !!

If fuel was 3 shillings and 6 pence a gallon then that would be 17.5p a gallon. There are about 4.5 litres a gallon so that works out at 17.5/4.5 = 3.9p/litre

i passed my test in October 1971 and fuel then was about 33p per gallon - or 7.3p per litre.

Fuel crosses the £1 per gallon in around 1979 - but that is still only 22.2p per litre