I get it to 17.5 pence as well. 5p = 1shilling ×3 = 15 + 2.5p = 17.5p. I think that's how denshaw done it, mind you, we both went to Roland green so that might explain a few things !!

• Like 1
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Denshaw  how did you work this out please ?   as i get it to 38 1/2 pence

nearly 4/- bob

1 shilling = 5p. x 3 = 15p.  sixpence  = 2½p.  Add the two together and it comes to 17½p. I get same as Denshaw.

• Like 1

Mary, 38.1/2pence would equate to approx 7/6d. As a aside, when we first went decimal, my mum said, "It's alright changing to 100pence to the pound, I want to know who's had the other 140"??.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Waddo said:

I get it to 17.5 pence as well. 5p = 1shilling ×3 = 15 + 2.5p = 17.5p. I think that's how denshaw done it, mind you, we both went to Roland green so that might explain a few things !!

I worked the cost prior to Decimal Day in 1971. There were 240 pence in one pound sterling. Twelve pence made a shilling, and twenty shillings made a pound, e.g. forty-two pence would be three shillings and six pence (3/6), in 'old money'.

42 pence divided by approximately 4.54 (litres per imperial gallon) = 9.25p. per litre.

Yes Alpha, your right with those maths,but you haven't allowed for the "government" twist, e.g. 2.4 old pence= 1 new pence. But because there was no .1 of a new penny they rounded up everything thereby gaining extra revenue. This swindle (my opinion) could possibly get shoved into the politics section. I said at the time we would lose out, but not knowing about politics and the devious ways, couldn't explain why. Let's have the Euro and see how we lose out again !!

57 minutes ago, Alpha said:

in 'old money'.

42 pence divided by approximately 4.54 (litres per imperial gallon) = 9.25p. per litre.

Wish my hourly rate went up by the same proportion !!

If fuel was 3 shillings and 6 pence a gallon then that would be 17.5p a gallon. There are about 4.5 litres a gallon so that works out at 17.5/4.5 = 3.9p/litre

i passed my test in October 1971 and fuel then was about 33p per gallon - or 7.3p per litre.

Fuel crosses the £1 per gallon in around 1979 - but that is still only 22.2p per litre 

I remember my dad getting 4 gallons for a quid. When i started driving four wheels, it went up to 50p a/per gallon, used to go to 'Gem' now Asda, can't remember why though!!

I can remember getting 3 gallons and Green Shield stamps for less than a quid.

I think my Triumph had a 6-7 gallon tank and a very handy reserve switch that allowed you to access the last 3/4 of a gallon in the tank. a very useful feature as we got near pay day to fill up.

GOSH NEVER EVER DID I THINK MY POST WOULD SHOW MUCH INTEREST.

AMAZING

On 12/3/2019 at 9:53 AM, Alpha said:

I worked the cost prior to Decimal Day in 1971. There were 240 pence in one pound sterling. Twelve pence made a shilling, and twenty shillings made a pound, e.g. forty-two pence would be three shillings and six pence (3/6), in 'old money'.

Don't forget the Guinea 21 shillings (1.05 pounds)  1 pint  4 pints 1 quart 8 pints one  gallon /   12" 1 foot  3ft 1 yard /  money 3d four 3d made a 1/-  6d two sixpence made a shilling    two shillings and 6d made 2/6  5 sixpences made 2/6  1/- made a bob  

four 2/6 made 10/- eight 2/6 made £1 00  so you see Alpha I can remember when I want to, oh by the way petrol was 3/6 went I had my first car. In fact I would  say this was real money. So if any person in Parliament wanted to bring back Pounds shillings &Pence they have my vote, if we do stay in Europe we must change to the Euro. Whoo sorry this should be in the other topic.

Mary, Dont forget the....furlongs, leagues, fathoms, chains, hands, and all the others. :rolleyes:

Won't  matter who ya vote for, the government  allus gerrin..

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I've gorra chain in't shed - no, a REAL surveyor's chain: 22yds long with 100 links.

Whilst we are still on the subject of weights and measures, don't forget the CRAN. 1 Cran = 1,200 herrings or 28 stones in weight.

• 1 month later...

My dad worked at Marshall’s for most of his life. He was a lorry driver then warehouse manager or something. He had a land rover and Trevor Marshall used to borrow it at weekends to go shooting with and my dad got to borrow their jag. I remember the days out to Drayton manor etc and Christmas parties in the social club under the archers of the railway bridge. I have pictures of me with Santa who I think was one of the Marshall brothers. Me and my brother often got driven round the site and played in the leen. My dad was gutted when it closed. He took retirement but it didn’t suit him so he got a job as a security officer at TDK distribution down near central tv studios. Happy memories

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
On 11/19/2008 at 11:04 PM, katyjay said:

There was a company in Thorneywood called Newton's [maybe C T Newton?] that hauled mainly milk in tankers. A girl I worked with was the daughter.

Yes that’s right as a teenager I used to go with one of the drivers collecting milk churns that’s before they had tankers I think the truck was a Guy the drivers name was Lenny 

• 3 months later...