As we seem to have a few ex-scholars on here, I have recalled come of my memories of the pleasures of dining at Trent Bridge Junior School in the early 1960's.

WHO WOULD LIKE THE SKIN?

In my first year at Trent Bridge I noticed something strange about school dinners. They were not cooked on site and usually arrived at about 11.30 in great big steel ( or aluminium) containers. The school hall which doubled as the gym also doubled as the canteen, was set out with tables and chairs. From memory I think there were two sittings. Also strange was seeing odd chairs tipped up against a table - these were for teachers to sit on and even the Head joined in sometimes, certainly in my early years. One day the head ( Mr Gibson) joined us and the first course ( always meat and two veg with gravy) went peacefully. Then the pud arrived - some kind of tart already cut up into squares and a large enamel jug full of custard. Mr Gibson asked in a booming voice "Now then who would like the skin?" Now I didnt have a clue what "the skin" was but fearing I might be thought unworthy if I didnt accept it I foolishly raised my hand. Thereupon Mr Gibson placed a square of tart on a plate and picked up the big jug. Now the custard had stood for quite some time and looked like it had a hard yellow rubber surface on top. So it didnt exactly pour smoothly onto my plate. In fact it took an eternity to leave the jug and then with a loud plop completely covered my tart. "There you are" beamed Mr Gibson. I tried to eat my pud which was Bakewell tart with yellow rubber covering. Custard it was not! Meanwhile my fellow diners , who I had denied this great culinary delight, tucked into their afters with relish. "Are you enjoying the skin" enquired Mr Gibson. Yes I spluttered ( bloody lies, I was choking!). Now the kids of the Meadows were a hungry lot and and many were glad of a decent hot meal. But by gum you had to be desperate to want the dreaded "skin". To this day I still hate lumpy custard and if I even hear the word "skin" in relation to a culinary experience I can quite literally feel a lump in my throat...

Ok more stories to come if any interest inc

The meat that came to life

A tanner in my Christmas Pud

The Pike incident ect..

Bye for now .... its dinnertime! (and no bloomin custard !)