What do retired people do all day?

2 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

I apologise for mentioning this, philmayfield, but my unruly lateral thinking mind has just issued me with a vision of a certain '2 Ronnies' sketch.

I've just rewatched that on YouTube. Thanks! :biggrin:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not been on here much recently - too busy! I'm in my third retirement. The first one started when I sold my share of the business at 66 and spent 4 to 6 months pa in France cycling, fishing and b

I thought that I might get bored when I retired having worked all my adult life from the age of 16. I was made redundant at 60 as the firm I walked for was bought over by another and moved to Billingh

I've just recently retired and love it. After 40+ years of shift work, getting up at ungodly hours, trying to sleep during the day in heatwaves, working weekends, bank holidays and Christmas, it's won

To say you put me to shame PP is an understatement. I've become lazy and indolent over the last few years but in my defence I have to say I have not had a heart attack!

Be careful and start to take it a little easier PP. I know they say hard work never killed anyone but ................

They lied!

• Like 3

I was asked recently to report on my new sooper dooper Wagner sprayer. Well it eventually arrived and was returned the same day, it was a cheap Chinese copy, and not a very good one at that. That should teach me not to penny pinch and buy from Ebay. I suppose I should have looked closer at the delivery time. That would have told me it was coming from a little further away than a local warehouse although it did give a location as London.

I have an electric Wagner about £55 from screwfix for my 36 6x6 panels, once you get the hang of it excellent, but you seem to use a lot more paint, about a litre a panel, never clogs even when left for half hour, massive clean & smear of grease when finished works wonders.

sprayer.jpg

• Like 1

What's "retired"??? I often wonder how I found time to earn a living these days!!!!!

The only day I "kick back" and take it easy is Christmas Day, up around 5-00am and always something needs doing, bed by 9-30pm.

Trying to get my veggie garden set up, problem is we have had a much wetter colder spring than normal. Turning it over with the Kubota with a four foot pto tiller, makes life much easier! Soon I have to erect an 8 ft high fence around it to keep the deer, coons and ground hogs out, as they all like fresh grown veggies.

Another couple of weeks and I will have to hook up the 5ft heavy duty rotary mower to the tractor, (brush hog) and mow around 60 acres of fields, next winters firewood to split and stack, change the shock absorbers on my pickup.

If I find time, stick an HF multi band antenna up as the HF ham bands are coming to life again.

Got a new toy coming, a 200mhz bandwidth duel channel oscilloscope, then I have two amplifiers to trace the faults out in the digital circuits. Several pieces of electronic equipment to repair and upgrade.

New roof on the shed.......Jeeze my list of "honey do's" is longer than the King James version of the Bible.

• Like 2

Well I’m in a minor panic-mode right now.  Having mostly spent the past 14 months at home messing about finding things to do, as we now enter the beginning of the end of lockdown I don’t feel I’ve achieved enough.  That’s been a big chunk out of the rest of my life, we’ve made a good go at sorting out the office (but we’re still running a business so paperwork continues to pile up), I’ve tidied up the library, sorted kitchen cupboards and wardrobes but I’ve still got big plastic boxes full of photos, piles of magazines that MAY feature an interesting item and loads of sentimental items that I can’t bring myself to get rid of.  I thought recently that if we dropped dead tomorrow our kids wouldn’t know where to start on this place.  Now the lockdown is coming to a hopeful end we won’t have time to do any more ‘sorting’.  Anyone else feel they’ve not achieved enough in the past year? 

• Like 1

I don't think Lizzie, I know!. The force of shuduv, cuduv and wuduv are strong!   ;)

• Like 1

RR: That reminds me on one fine morning back in 1973. I was wandering around the cattle market when I spotted huge piles of ex-school dinner-ware. There were glasses, water jugs, dinner and side plates. I bought a set of dinner and side plates for a few pence each and to this day still have two of each dinner and side plates. Turned out they were translucent Pyrex and tough as old boots. My four remaining plates are still used regularly for baking, freezing and even eatinng off. Wonderful, old English-made crockery. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Anyone else feel they’ve not achieved enough in the past year? 

I certainly feel that I haven't done much in the past year, but somehow time has passed fairly quickly.

I haven't been staring at the wall for hours at a time, wondering what to do next. I'm surprised I haven't been more bored, even though I can't think of anything significant that I've done.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, radfordred said:

Most Nottingham folks life long collection of “sentimental items” end up in cardboard boxes on the floor of the Cattle Market on Saturday mornings from the house clearance lads?  

Exactly RR, that’s where a lot of items from my parent’s house ended up, a box of stuff going for 3 or 4 pounds.  So sad but when you empty a house it’s difficult to find space in your own property.  I even took boxes of stuff from here that we’d brought to Nottingham several years earlier from our much larger previous home.  Things that were still in removal company boxes and left in the garage and sheds.  

@ Brew  I could NEVER live in a city again, it would be like putting a wild animal in a zoo for me. Besides, the apartment would have to be at least 5000 square foot, to accommodate my workshop, ham shack and electronics lab, plus adequate living space, my house is around 1400 square foot floor space and we have just about outgrown it.

Having lived  over half my life in the country, I'd go insane living in a city.

1 hour ago, Ayupmeducks said:

it would be like putting a wild animal in a zoo for me

I'll arrange a meet to come and see you Ayup, we can point fingers and tap on the glass if it would help! 

I'll even bring a bag of peanutsthumbsup