up and down sea croft rd in and out of the eagle thats the way dads money goes pop goes the eagle.one of my memories from when i was youngon holiday in mablethorpe. and of course in the late sixties trips with the rockers from whitehart and 41 club ash and old ace will remember these too.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The virus has curtailed our usual birthday celebrations Mum is a 103 today and we are normally in the north east for the racing, we have done this for nearly 20 years.  Her friends have made her day a

It seems that anyone politically slightly to the right of Stalin or Mao Zedong is a moron. Who knows, before long some folk may even start reading The Guardian and actually believe what's written.

I long admired and appreciated Martin's 'model' for his Weatherspoon's pubs. Somewhere to meet for a reasonably priced drink, without deafening music or other distractions.  Martin's political vi

up and down sea croft rd in and out of the eagle thats the way dads money goes pop goes the eagle.one of my memories from when i was youngon holiday in mablethorpe. and of course in the late sixties trips with the rockers from whitehart and 41 club ash and old ace will remember these too.

I've hung around outside 'em all, crisps & pop in hand, Fulbeck (old Fulbeck), Louth, Book in Hand..................................the Eagle was by far the favourite...............had my first 'holiday kiss' out in the bushes behind the car park.............. :blush: & it was a girl!! result.........................

me too and depending on were were were staying seacroft lane or golden sands depended if our last stop was either the eagle or the old fulbeck

me too and depending on were were were staying seacroft lane or golden sands depended if our last stop was either the eagle or the old fulbeck

Mablethorpe certainly felt like the best place on earth to us kids,our typical day was; up before 8, breakfast of cereals or 'pobs' (bread & sugar in milk) then play around caravan/bungalow whilst mam & dad cleared up, then into town for shopping & arcades, beach/sand dunes all afternoon, occasionally a hour or two in the dunes theatre (Aunty Jean & Uncle Dennis talent show), back to base than out at night till well after 11, where did our energy come from.....................more to the point, where is it now??????

• 2 weeks later...

'Golden Sand's,caravan site holidays 1960 - 63', same pubs, pop and a packet of crisps, I remember a terrific fish and

chip shop near the caravan site.!!!!!

The more I read about members posts as kids,I can't help but ask, are we just one big family?.

Some time ago I posted summer days as a kid, and what I spent my time doing. Compo asked if I was his brother in the attic.

Many of us have almost identical stories.

I was at Mablethorpe around that time Mudgie. Remember that vast arcade, Main St. with those crazy mirrors? And Bryan Hyland at number 1 with 'Itzy, witzy, teeny, weeny, yellow polka dot bikini'. Lovely teenage years. :)

Hey Jackson, and what about -

Only the lonely - Roy Orbison

Cathys clown - Everly brothers

I'm sorry - Brenda Lee

Wild one - Bobby Rydell

Can't say I saw you on the beach in the 'yellow polka dot bikini', I did look. :crazy:

• Upvote 1

do you mean the fish and chip shop half way between fulbeck and golden sands mudgie thats the one we alwaysed used at that time.

and those tunes powerful tunes with powerful memories, but i was not quite in my teens in them days. so no bikini for me just the old blue strechy bathing suit with all the elastic in . think i was 15 or 16 before i got my first bikini i brought it myself black and white nylon but more like shorts and a sports bra than itsy bitsy i was never thin enough to dear wear one of those being 38 24 38 . but my mates who never had much up top could all get away with it

News from Mabo,The Eagle opened last week,and looking very nice, and the beers not at all bad, its still a work in progress, did'nt see the Bel Ami jukebox, the last song i heard on it was Tommy Bruce 'Aint Misbehavin', heard a song on the wireless this morning which took me back to 63' The Crystals 'Then he kissed me'. The Louth has just changed hands and being re-furbished , tables and chairs on the pavement, very continental. The Book is also changing hands,watch this space. The Fulbeck is now The Beck, more carvery than pub,and the chippy on Quebec road is still frying.

thanks for reminding me it was quebec rd beach bum . hope to get down to mablethorpe again soon have not managed it yet this year.

Hi Babs,

funny how we hear a song,and are back in that time and space,as we age those memories become so precious to us.

I am sure that some of us got together as kids,hanging out at the pubs, whilst on holiday in Mablethorpe.

Give my kind regards to Piggy.

Bryan

thanks bryan i wonder if someone came up with old photoes out side the mablethorpe pubs how many of us whould reconize ourselfs on them netherfield lad tommy lawton ran the fulbec for some years late sixties to earlie eighties i think it was him who had the family room built on the side so kids did not get wet when it rained and he would still keep his customers

Anyone remember the joke mugs that were on sale at the seaside in the early sixties, one shaped like a guzunder (jerry, po, chamber pot) it had an eye in the bottom of it, with some lewd remark about what the eye could see!!......................loads of good old toilet humour around in them days, not to everyones taste! although what was funny on holiday, somehow wasn't comical once you got home............... :)

Beachbum... Our East Coast Reporter :)

Mick, we'll have to give Beachbum a few places to visit in/around Mabo, just to update those of us that grew up holidaying there.

Beachbum; Are Auntie Jean & Uncle Dennis still doing the afternoon talent show in the Dunes Theatre? Get thissen up the seafront & report back to this forum, post haste lad!!.................. :biggrin:

My first taste of Wetherspoon's was when my sister took me to the Arnold 'Spoons - I can't recall how long ago but it had just opened. I was impressed by the selection of ales and prices too. Not an old fashioned pub but Spoon's is keeping up the tradition of beer affordable to the masses. Love it.

It's strange.........................Wetherspoons set out to appeal to the young, happy hours, cheap fast food................but what they've actually achieved is to appeal to all age groups, not necessarily mixing together, but enjoying all that w's have to offer at different times of the day.............................I'm rambling again!! Whilst they continue to have well priced 'guest beers' they'll have my hard earned shillings......................

Back to Mabo for a second and apologies for that. Why Quebec - a Canadian province name - in Lincolnshire? I was always interested in the Maple Leaf shaped paddling pool a couple of miles down the road at Sutton-on-Sea - a Canadian tribute to the Brit war effort I understand.

Wetherspoon's gets my vote too Paulus. Sadly, the Scottish Nazi Party banned "Happy Hour" smoe (Sim. 'Some'. See Compo's dictionary of almost correct words) time ago. Why are Scottish politicians such miserable bast*rds?!