I didnt realise that the Malt Cross was closed - just shows how much attention I pay when I visit Nottingham! The Malt Cross is lovely and if they are renovating it, the place will be even better than it has been. Its a very laid back place and I hope that they dont affect that chilled atmosphere.

I recall the Sapla restaurant in the basement, and it was appalling.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The virus has curtailed our usual birthday celebrations Mum is a 103 today and we are normally in the north east for the racing, we have done this for nearly 20 years.  Her friends have made her day a

It seems that anyone politically slightly to the right of Stalin or Mao Zedong is a moron. Who knows, before long some folk may even start reading The Guardian and actually believe what's written.

I long admired and appreciated Martin's 'model' for his Weatherspoon's pubs. Somewhere to meet for a reasonably priced drink, without deafening music or other distractions.  Martin's political vi

Mention of the Hand and Heart reminds me of the (very) old joke about the signwriter who painted the pub's sign. The landlord came out to see his work and told him - with dropped aitches - The spaces are too wide between the 'and and and, and and and heart.

One new pub and one reopening in the Arnold area.

There is to be a brand new micropub in the Coronation Buildings on Mansfield Road at Daybrook, directly opposite the former Home Brewery building.

The Robin Hood and Little John on Church Street, Arnold is reopen as a real ale pub in August. Brewery's involved are Lincoln Green of Hucknall and Everards Brewery. As one of the area's oldest pubs it is heartening to see these plans.

Good news for the area.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

The old nags head reopened as The Lambley Village Kitchen last weekend http://www.thelambley.co.uk/

Robin Hood & Little John in Arnold opens 21st August http://www.therobinhoodandlittlejohn.co.uk/

The micro-pub Stu mentioned opposite home brewery gates is to be called The Abdication https://sites.google.com/site/ampprelaunch/

tVZVMCSj.jpeg

My old stamping ground in the late 1950s was the Queen Elizabeth in Bottle Lane in town,when I was last in the UK in 2008 it had closed down,how many of you remember this pub also the 3 Tuns just up the road which has gone completely.

The micro-pub Stu mentioned opposite home brewery gates is to be called The Abdication https://sites.google.com/site/ampprelaunch/

They'll have to go some to match the 'July.August' opening date that's promised. I've seen barely any sign of life in the building so far (it's the second unit to the right of the row). Only one day have I seen anything going off there but there could be some 'unseen work' happening!

The Abdication looks to be about the size of The Doctor's Orders at Carrington. I wish it well, it will be nice to see another watering hole in the area.

The Wheatsheaf at bobbers mill was supposed to be re-opening again this summer. Work started on it at the end of June and it looked as though it was being gutted and a large skip was quickly filled with all the fittings and fixtures. It now appears that work has ceased and it is all boarded up again.

Anybody know anything more ?

• Upvote 1

The Wheatsheaf at Bobbers Mill was built in 1938/1939. At this time my dad worked for the firm that decorated it. Each room had lights that were a glass globe suspended from the ceiling by a chromed tube. There was one left over after completion and dad obtained it and had an amber-coloured glass halo made, which transformed the globe into a likeness of the planet Saturn. Very, very Art Deco (dad was into that style). I have the lighting fixture and am open to offers - it is unique, there is only one of them!

• Upvote 3

I never knew that, to me it was just a light fixture that I grew up with. I knew it was unique but never thought to ask where dad got it. Didn't know he'd had the glass ring made.

• Upvote 1

I used to live near the Wheatsheaf when I was in my teens - a nice pub. Also in my teens I belonged to a scooter club and we used to meet in the upstairs room there.

Were you a mod Dave?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not Nottingham but.

A new micro pub has opened(18th December) in Loughborough it's called The Needle & Pin & is on The Rushes close to The Swan in The Rushes.

It's the Smallest micro I've been in (smaller than The Barrel Drop or Just Beer) & only has three hand pumps but I think it will do well.

https://www.facebook.com/LoughboroughMicropub/

A few weeks ago the former Lord Nelson on Front Street, Arnold reopened after being closed for a period. It's last incarnation was as a daytime coffee bar with the 'Nelly' having closed some years ago.

It's now been christened 'The Coffee Grinder' (rubbish name I think) and is owned by the Blue Monkey Brewery. During the day it serves largely as a coffee bar I understand and in the evening a real ale pub. It's pretty close to the Robin Hood and Little John so a couple of real ale choices in close proximity for punters in Arnold now.

outside.jpg

# 190. I listened to one of the directors of the Blue Monkey Brewery being interviewed on Radio Nottingham the other week. The name 'Coffee Grinder' is keeping the theme of 'Grinder' going throughout their pubs. I'm aware there's an 'Organ Grinder' in town but I think he said there's an 'Organ Grinder' somewhere else fairly locally.