• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The virus has curtailed our usual birthday celebrations Mum is a 103 today and we are normally in the north east for the racing, we have done this for nearly 20 years.  Her friends have made her day a

It seems that anyone politically slightly to the right of Stalin or Mao Zedong is a moron. Who knows, before long some folk may even start reading The Guardian and actually believe what's written.

I long admired and appreciated Martin's 'model' for his Weatherspoon's pubs. Somewhere to meet for a reasonably priced drink, without deafening music or other distractions.  Martin's political vi

I always thought Kegworth held that record - but the article makes no mention of it. Of course, that was about 35 years ago and a lot of pubs have closed since then!

I was told it was Bollington not far from here

Which (on reading the article after I first made this post) is on the list

Once went on a Cheshire cricket tour...

Bollington was our HQ, as we played matches there and at Prestbury and Pott Shrigley - spread over 3 days.

Clearly (or should that be hazily?) recall that there were more than enough pubs to go at !cheers!

Cheers

Robt P.

We did "The run" once for a mates 'Stag do' Where by you are dopped at the pub right at the top of the town ,by minibus, and shovelled back on, by the driver, three and a half hours later at the 'Pheasant' at the other end.

Happy days

• 6 months later...

Amongst all the gloom and doom of all the old pubs pulling their last pints, it should be said that there are a few new ones opening here and there in spite of relatively hard times for the licensing trade.

Up in Mapperley a new little drinking area beckons I reckon. I've visited Castle Rock's Bread and Bitter a couple of times and found it a pleasant acceptable boozer. I'm also hearing good reports of J D Wetherspoon's new pub next door, The Woodthorpe Top too. I'm not a great Wetherspoons fan normally but I'm told this one is superior to many. What with the refurbishment of The Plainsman flanking the Wetherspons pub there will be three pubs, incuding two new ones within a few yards of each other.

Any more?

Did have about 1 hour in each yesterday 7 to 9ish B&B 1st had a two nice pints of “Dens” harvest pale did count 10 different bitters on the bar , everyone seated thinking back I may have been the only one in the bar area without a beard ! Plus there was not one woman in that area?

The new spoons that was packed with no seats in the house lots of couples and a younger crowd , plus a few babies in prams , very strong smell of food they was still serving Sunday dinner and it was gone 8pm , didn’t think much to the Nottingham bitter that I had , but drank it .

Looking back I could have very easily have stayed in the bread & bitter but the youth with the car wanted to look in the spoons pub.

The Crown at Rolleston has just opened up having been closed for some time. Clive and Kim Wisdom who used to own the Full Monn at Morton have it. Its a freehouse with a reasonable selection. Worth a look. Its a spit from Southwell racecourse, turn left as you come out over the train crossing

Haven't been to The Crown in such a long time. On my last visit it looked to be in the death throes and I didn't go back. A shame becaue it's a part of the world I really like up there.

That couple did a great job at the Full Moon in my opinion - one of my favourte Notts pubs, especially in the summer for the lovely patio outside. The food was pretty good too but the last time I called under the new ownership we were disappointed in the menu.

I drove past the plainman last night after having not gone past in a while and see that its almost ready from reopening after it £1million pound refurb!!!!!

It looks very nice but i guess they all do until they get some careless punters in!!

It strange as i have photos of the plainsman before it was a pub on the pics it still shows the for sale board on the house!!! !cheers!

I'll be interested to pop in The Plainsman for an inspection. (For Nottstalgia research purposes only of course). Pre the recent refurbishment, it was an extremely, let's be kind and say, 'tired' building. Lot's of character and potential though. I hope they've managed to keep the former.

I'd say the only concern for this new cornucopia of drinking establishments would be that the J D Wetherspoon house might draw a lot of custom away from the other two with it's lower pricing. I sincerely hope not.

I agree with the comments there stu and guess thats why they spent a million pounds on it so that business wasn't taken from them!

I would like to visit but i wouldn't as its now owed by greene king and i don't want to give any of my money to greene king which is a massive understatement as my local is actually owned by greene king although its still got all the hardys and hansons signs and its a tenanted pub !englandflag!

A little embarrassed young un

I've only ever been in The Plainsman a couple of times mate. It was interesting wandering around all the little bars in there. I think it could be a great pub. Echo what you say about big bad Greene King. I'm no real ale drinker but I think they're a well-worthy recipient of scorn for some the things they've done.

Keep enjoying your local. A local is a local after all!

• 3 weeks later...

The Navigation (or is it Trent Navigation?) Meadow Lane has reopened, Part of ownership team are David and Tammy who have the brewpub The Fox and Crown at Basford and ex landlord from there Martin is in charge. Theres a Rock and Roll band "Rocket 88" from Radcliffe playing there tonight, (Thursday)

Yep and fighting already in both spoons and the plainsman(2nd night for the plainsman)......wont be long as thats what put the final nail in the coffin for the porch & the belle......one more thing...avin been born`n`bred up here.."Woodthorpe Top"....Wheres that then?????...its never been!!!...whats the other end St Anns Top???????

• 3 months later...

The Blue Bell on Upper Parliament Street,with its nicotine-stained wallpaper, little nooks and crannies, brewery mirrors, patterned carpets and heavy chintz curtains !

Not now ! and its cleverly changed its address to Forman Street - from the flyer i had thrust into my hand by some spotty student last night.

"The Blue Bell refreshment emporium & lounge - A wonderous new establishment on Forman Street opposite Revolution @ the corner house enjoy iconoclastic food & beverages in a most unusual setting till late "

http://www.bluebellemporium.com/

the name still makes no sense.....its a sad effort........see now the locals are getting sick of it.......because of the smoking ban everybody is out on the front and the locals feel imtimidated walking by.....

• 1 year later...

The Navigation (or is it Trent Navigation?) Meadow Lane has reopened, Part of ownership team are David and Tammy who have the brewpub The Fox and Crown at Basford and ex landlord from there Martin is in charge. Theres a Rock and Roll band "Rocket 88" from Radcliffe playing there tonight, (Thursday)

The Trent Navigation Inn on Meadow Lane was locked up planned to meet there before the Forest v Boro game on Tues , told in the Globe that it had gone bankrupt.

Shame nice pub.

• 9 months later...

With so many of our local pubs disappearing at a rate of Notts (sic), the reasons are endlessly debated and noted. Some are late, but not necessarily lamented, whilst others seem a sad loss. In amongst the carnage, I find myself forgetting occasionally that there are some fine new additions in our locality, often superior places to take a drink or something to eat than the unloved places what went before. I say that very much as a preservationist too.

There are a couple of nice threads here and here detailing our lost pubs, but what about, in the interests of balance, a thread detailing the many new public houses that have opening their doors? I'll start the ball rolling with one or two from my own local area and another Castle Rock establishment...

The Ernehale - Arnold. A Wetherspoons chain pub yes, but arguably the most reasonable and inoffensive (and cheap of course) place to drink in Arnold

The Home Bar - Arnold. Not particularly to my taste but a very smart bar that the local appear to have taken to. Nice food apparently and regular live music nights

The Poppy and Pint - Lady Bay. Castle Rock Brewery's new addition that features a coffee house and somewhere for mums to drob by with the kids in mid-morning! I'll reserve judgement on that as I've not paid a visit but it's good to see some creative thinking at least.

The Organ Grinder - Canning Circus. I'm hearing some good reports about this brand new real ale pub in the city which appears to be augmenting what is already a nice area to pop out for a pint at night with the likes of the Borlace and Hand and Heart etc. a good point is the quality local, Blue Monkey beers (amongst others) on tap.

Any more?

But you forgot that the Toby Jug nextdoor to the one on the top of Carlton Hill had to close because of it !!!