• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The virus has curtailed our usual birthday celebrations Mum is a 103 today and we are normally in the north east for the racing, we have done this for nearly 20 years.  Her friends have made her day a

It seems that anyone politically slightly to the right of Stalin or Mao Zedong is a moron. Who knows, before long some folk may even start reading The Guardian and actually believe what's written.

I long admired and appreciated Martin's 'model' for his Weatherspoon's pubs. Somewhere to meet for a reasonably priced drink, without deafening music or other distractions.  Martin's political vi

Wetherspoons,are they owt to do with Greene king? Because they cause as many problems !!

The Poppy and Pint - Lady Bay

The Organ Grinder - Canning Circus

I've done 2 of above - poppy & pint the beers cracking been 4 times before the cricket can't say I've seen any kids in there running riot , take em to the f**king park.

organ grinder - queued to get in last Sunday @ 12pm beers lovely sat on the new roof terrace - kids no but think i spotted a dog ? a spotted dog ? a spotty kid ! not sure.

Not sure what Green king or the landlord is doing to the beer in the Wheelhouse the abbot / speckled hen / Green king IPA all seems to have the same weird after taste ? What is it ? Also same horrid after taste in the new trent bridge inn

Castle rock pub at Woodthorpe/Mapperly that used to be a bakery is called The Bread and Bitter.

Quite like that place and it's a good example of one of the nice new pubs there are out there I reckon Den. Castle Rock seem to generally get it right I think.

Walked past this one the other week (that was difficult!) Looks well worth a visit when in the area:

Just Beer - Newark

Real ale pals move into pub trade

Wetherspoons & greene king are both types of brewery but im pretty sure that there not linked in any way ( i could be wrong )

Wetherspoons chains seem to be popping up all over dont they! Greene king own a few well known pubs around here, like ye olde trip to jerusalem and the bell inn for example.. They also have their own Ale, Something i dont think wetherspoons have :P muahaha.

Was shocked to see the Maid Marian pub in arnold is now just a mound of dirt & bricks!

• 1 month later...

Another Wetherspoon pub, opened in 2000 so still a ‘baby’ in public house terms is The Roebuck on St. James Street, discussed here on another thread is, in my view, a step above the average Wetherspoon outlet – especially regarding Nottingham city centre’s other Wetherspoon pubs. The only problem used to be getting served but that issue appears to have been alleviated over the past few months. It looks and feels much more like a real pub than many of the sanitised, slightly dull licensed premises owned by the chain that I’ve visited. A good half-way house between the excellent range of drinks at affordable prices and cheap and cheerful food that Wetherspoons offer and having to compromise on atmosphere and true pub ‘feel’. Recommended. In fact I’d recommend it for a Nottstalgia meet some time.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-roebuck-inn

I just thought it'd be easier to get to the Joseph Else for everbody (Firm or infirm) with it being right next to the tram stop. You have to remember I don't get to Nott'm much nowadays, and certainly not to the City centre, to find out what pubs are where any more ....LOL

Roebuck is much nicer in my humble opinion chaps. Don't mind though. It's very easy and accessible, just of the square up St. James Street near the Bell. It's half way up on the left-hand side near where the Imperial was.

The Joe Else is ok and very convenient but it's a bit of a barn. Some 'interesting characters'* outside there from opening time early morning though! :) Being fairly regularly in town, I'd suggest the Roebuck out of those two if you asked me.**

* Winos and gentleman on the special brew

** PS: I'm not on commission!

Roebuck for me then too. I just remember going in to the J.E. with SWMBO and there being plenty of room and no blasting music!! (And we didn't get kicked out at 10.30 either!!)

I'll post it on the "official meet up thread".

• 4 weeks later...

Wetherspoons have started to build a pub in Stapleford on the site of the old health centre, there was a pub opposite this but it closed and was demolished about 5 years ago, and some offices built. There is also a pub in Stapleford that has been closed for a while, the Feathers on church street, it seems strange for Wetherspoons to actually build a pub as most of there pubs have been conversions of existing buildings.

Now the million dollar question, what was the last pub built in Nottingham from the ground up?

I don't know the answer, but i'm sure someone on here will

My bet is the Limekiln at Bulwell, the Goose Fair was also quite new, probably had the shortest span of being open, the Goose at Gamston, and the Corn mill at Chilwell are also quite new, in fact the Corn Mill is probably more recent than the Limekiln.

I was at Derby today, and on getting to the end of Raynesway, where the road goes to the right to follow the Derby ring road, they have altered all of the road layout and you now turn left at the end of Raynesway and loop around to join the original ring road, and as I went left in the middle of the loop is a brand new pub, a Marstons I think and they have'nt even finished the road yet. The pub looks isolated all on its own.