• 2 months later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The virus has curtailed our usual birthday celebrations Mum is a 103 today and we are normally in the north east for the racing, we have done this for nearly 20 years.  Her friends have made her day a

It seems that anyone politically slightly to the right of Stalin or Mao Zedong is a moron. Who knows, before long some folk may even start reading The Guardian and actually believe what's written.

I long admired and appreciated Martin's 'model' for his Weatherspoon's pubs. Somewhere to meet for a reasonably priced drink, without deafening music or other distractions.  Martin's political vi

• 1 month later...

The willowbrook in gedling has just changed from a members only to a open pub!

• 4 weeks later...

Just been to a birthday party tonight. Doctors Orders, the Micropub in Carrington celebrated it's first year of trading. It was a really good night, food including birthday cake, and a good old singsong. It's such a welcoming cosy place, every time we go in we get to know new people who quickly become friends. Those three guys have done well and deserve to do well in the future. Happy Birthday Doctors Orders!

kickmeCan yer get beer on prescription there? If so, I'll give it a try, being as I qualify for free prescriptions..............

• 2 months later...

Yes I'm certainly Jacobs & it don't cost me to get into Nottingham(bus pass ;))

But only the once for that beer, it was only worth about £2.70

Paid the same for the pint in the Crafty Crow but that was for a pint of 6.1% beer.

We've been in both the new pubs on Friar Lane - Ned Ludd & Crafty Crow - both overpriced, but handy for The Park people, so maybe that's why! The Ned Ludds ok, but I won't be going back to the Crafty Crow. It's all very well not stocking beers from the mainstream brewers, but only if what you do serve matches or betters their product. Personally, I'm fed up of pubs boasting of having six or more real ales on the bar only to find when I get there that they're all variants on the very pale, overhopped stuff.

The Trent Navigation (Navigation Brewery) on Meadow Lane and The Organ Grinder (Blue Monkey Brewery) at Canning Circus are both excellent examples of small local brewery outlets serving a range of their own beers that include the pale, overhopped stuff but also more traditional copper coloured bitters and IPAs. We treat The Lion in New Basford as more or less our local and there's always a good range of beers and ciders, mainstream and micro.

As for the Shipstones recipes, Colin Brown, who runs the Belvoir Brewery, is currently brewing them and Ned Ludd stocked Shippo's Bitter on their opening weekend. It had sold out by Sunday Lunchtime - all you Nottstalgians raising a glass (or three)?

What's up radfordred, you got the shakes. Be careful getting your camera out in the gents, someone might get the wrong idea.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

News from CAMRA is that the Running Horse at Canning Circus is about to reopen (again!). With the Falcon & John Borlase Warren both having had a makeover recently, Canning Circus is now THE place to go for Real Ale nerds like me. These three, plus the Organ Grinder, give you four pubs within no more than a 50m radius. Add in the Hand and Heart, just down Derby Rd, and a very nice afternoon/evening has just been consigned to the local sewers!

And while you're all up there, I can sneak down to The Navigation for a quiet few pints by the canal with my mates!

Did I hear mention of the pubs at Canning Circus? Alfreton Road to Forest Road and Waverley Street including part of Canning Circus was the first milk round I did in 1974 when I returned to Nottingham. It was full of pubs. As follows: The Queen's Head and the Forest Tavern on opposite corners of Forest Road, The Cricketer's, The Generous Briton, The Portland Arms on Portland St., The Sir Walter Raleigh on Raleigh St., The Running Horse, The Falcon, The John Borlase Warren, and the Arboretum. They all gave me a swift half on cash collection day which was a Saturday. It was a great round even having to deliver milk to the residences of the ladies (self) employed in the world's oldest profession.

• 2 months later...