and what about all those gravel pit lorries from Hoveringham

Like these? thumbsup

Hoveringham Wrecker

The wrecker still exists. My old man, Bob Scrivener (known throughout the company as "Bob the B.....d" )was foreman of the Static Plant department , worked for Hoveringham for 43 years and was involved in its build.

Dad claimed that when they tested the crane, the fitters positioned the wrecker at the top of a loading ramp, and used it to lift a loaded 4-wheeler clean off the floor; about 16 tonnes deadweight.

I was fortunate enough to grow up within sight and earshot of Hoveringham quarry, and to this day I can tell a Foden two-stroke miles away..... music!

The wrecker was originally an 8-wheel tipper of course, which had I believe been damaged in an accident. It was the last surviving working "Hoveringham lorry", being transferred to Tarmac's Bellmoor depot when the Hoveringham garages closed in the 1980's. It had by this time been repainted in Tarmac khaki livery.

AFAIK it now lives in Herefordshire, awaiting restoration. If only I had the room, cash and skill!

DSC_0234.jpg

23-02-2008224312.jpg

Before and after pics of KNN 616E, now in preservation in the Coventry area.

• Like 1

Scriv,

Brilliant pictures, I'd forgot about the Mammoth motif on the door sides, I know what you mean about the sound of the diesel two stroke, Commer also had them fitted to their lorries, I remember one of our two stroke trucks over heating and the engine started to pull hot engine oil past the rings to feed the combustion chambers, there was no way we could stop it revving it bits off, even tried shoving an old donkey jacket in the air intake to starve it of air, all that happened was the jacket came out of the exhaust in bits and glowing, in the end it was abandon ship and let it blow up which it did in the most spectacular fashion, by the way, still work for a quarrying company,(never learn)

Rog

• Like 2

I had a toy "Hoveringham tipper" and a Cement mixer. I had them bought for me in London in 1964 , when we went to see Cliff and the Shadows in Alladin

• 10 years later...

I remember those same Leyland "LAD" cabbed Hoveringham wagons on the A164 around Hatfield, near where Robin Hood airport is now. Hoveringham had a quarry there , always sand on the road and clouds of black smoke behind them as they were pulling way. Small engines, overloaded, the old days ! 

Saw one at a rally about 3 years ago, total restoration, looked fab. 

• Like 1

I forgot i'd posted this. 

For those of you with access to Facebook, check this out.

https://www.facebook.com/hoveringhamgravels/videos/1507928249268224/

The wrecker still exists, and is for sale. In poor, but running condition, will need a total restoration. I wanted it, have the room but not the finances or skills to undertake it.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, trophydave said:

Scriv,did you know John Stevens?I know he drove the wrecker.

I probably met him; half of Hoveringham's workforce used to come round to me dad's house for either bedding plants or cut chrysanthemums.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seen it done with a dump truck going under a conveyor belt,had his back raised and it hit the conveyor lifting the front of the dump truck in the air as it passed underneath, think I got a photo of it somewhere

Rog

PS, that picture reminds me of the "JCB Dancing diggers"

• Like 1