Nottingham Trolleybus Group

I remember some trolley buses being stored at Plumtree  The lad I worked with was called tony spencer he lived at the station for a while and in the nineties I think it was I took an old Notts and derby trolley bus driver down to an industrial estate near bournemouth to see a partly restored Notts and Derby trolley bus  I took some photos but have no idea how to download them  we had a great day there and they were very obliging even towing the bus outside so we could take pictures   meeowed

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fairly certain this link has been posted before somewhere on here, but it's been recently updated with photos of preserved Nottingham buses - if you scroll down to the very end. And if you haven'

King Street & Queens Street 1933  

I'm bringing this one up as things were mentioned in the Railways thread and I'm interested to know whether anyone knows what happened to some of the individuals concerned. When we were youths in the

I may be wrong but it looks like the one the right has a display of flags and Marsdens appears to have bunting on the shop front so I'm  assuming some sort of celebration. Armistice Day, King George jubilee?

Good question WW. Nowadays it would be called a bi modal vehicle. That's If it is an actual engine.

Some experts will fully explain soon no doubt.

Was going to say its a Notts & Derby Traction A1 on its way back to Ripley but that was before we noticed it was a motor bus as well as a trolley. It seems to be an AEC with the usual Notts & Derby/Midland General badge in place of the AEC badge on radiator.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jonab said:

Would it really travel as far as Ripley under trolley power?

I questioned that some time ago jonab and was assured they did indeed go that far out. Seems they were called Ripley Rattlers.

Just read your post Jonab, quite interesting. If only there were more pictures. Having driven the old route, on the way to Matlock bath, like you, I'm fascinated to think trolley wires ran all that way. Often wondered how like today's trams, they can run uphill. Steel on steel and all that. How do they get the traction?

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Just read your post Jonab, quite interesting. If only there were more pictures. Having driven the old route, on the way to Matlock bath, like you, I'm fascinated to think trolley wires ran all that way. Often wondered how like today's trams, they can run uphill. Steel on steel and all that. How do they get the traction?

Either sand boxes fitted in front of the traction wheels or they employed someone to travel with the tram and get out and throw sand on the rails or locals were employed, maybe children, to do it.

If all else failed I would imagie the male passengers got off and pushed it as a lot of passengers were miners.

I believe they started from Ripley Marketplace, Codnor, Loscoe, Heanor, Langley Mill, Eastwood, Giltbrook, Kimberley, Nuthall and into town. I don't think trams, then the trolleybuses and later motor buses all took the same route into town after Cinder Hill. Someone will no more about that than me. On that route from Ripley through Derbyshire and into Nottinghamshire there is not much open countryside. Wasn't it the longest tram route in the country? (or world?).

Sorry Kev., but it's  got to be the worst clip ever. Don't  even have time to see what's  where, or even read the credits. Still no wiser and I've  watched it twice. Not your fault I  know, so thanks anyroad. B.

1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

Either sand boxes fitted in front of the traction wheels or they employed someone to travel with the tram and get out and throw sand on the rails or locals were employed, maybe children, to do it.

If all else failed I would imagie the male passengers got off and pushed it as a lot of passengers were miners.

Surely sandboxes aren't  fitted to the latest trams? So how do they climb market street on a rainy day?

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Surely sandboxes aren't  fitted to the latest trams? So how do they climb market street on a rainy day?

They are. You can see sand on the rails at a number of stops.