Nottingham Trolleybus Group

Not living in Nottingham  TG I  wouldn't  know. It's  been many a year since I've  had to sweep tramlines.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fairly certain this link has been posted before somewhere on here, but it's been recently updated with photos of preserved Nottingham buses - if you scroll down to the very end. And if you haven'

King Street & Queens Street 1933  

I'm bringing this one up as things were mentioned in the Railways thread and I'm interested to know whether anyone knows what happened to some of the individuals concerned. When we were youths in the

A friend of mine used to drive the notts and derby trolley buses he had a sample of the overhead lines it was half round solid copper rod with a slit either side for the clips that held it up  went into  He did tell me how much it weighed per mile  I can only remember it was a lot they had a sort of slipper that ran on it not wheels like the corporation There is still a last trolley bus post on Nottingham road just up from gregory blvd island before you get to Berridge road  As a young kid i got as far as moorgreen on one with the rest of the kids from our street only to get a tanning from my dad who had been all over on his bike looking for me no supper that night  meeowed

• Like 1

Unless the wheels have rubber tyres, they'd have to use sand on steep grades, so I'd hazard a guess they are like loco's these days and have a large sand tank mounted somewhere on the chassis, and the sand delivered to the driving wheels by compressed air through pipes from the tanks to the wheels. That's how the large underground and electric locos we used in mining worked.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cliff Ton i recognize some places on your Ripley Rattlers pictures Langley Mill Eastwood Kimberley Nuthall Cinderhill seems they used what was or still is the A610 route.Arthur Plumb on James st. Kimberley had some books and information on the Ripley Rattlers,one name i remember was a fellow called Dusty Rhodes dont think he is around anymore but was i believe one of the operators the trams.

Thanks for that link Stuart C, very interesting reading. Also reading about the Blackpool & Tramways museum systems as I've been on both of them..... When I worked down Hucknall pit on the diesel loco's if we'd got no sand (often happened) we'd use stone dust, but if it got wet it seemed to make traction worse, but not usually wet as Deep Soft was a fairly dry seam... 

I don't how I stumbled across that document but it was quite interesting including all the other systems in the country.

I can guarantee if I'd been looking for something like that it wouldn't have come up.

I've downloaded it so I don't loose it.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Wait till Ben sees that. Forget the bus, there's a Marsden's in the background.

Yes spotted it cliff ton,,,think its the Restuarant,,i just remember it dont know when it closed,,,i'd class Marsdens as an Upper working class organisation,,bit like the Waitrose of today,, all the Marsdens stores had 'Quality' on their Fascia's.....