firbeck

Nottingham Trolleybus Group

Not living in Nottingham  TG I  wouldn't  know. It's  been many a year since I've  had to sweep tramlines.

A friend of mine used to drive the notts and derby trolley buses he had a sample of the overhead lines it was half round solid copper rod with a slit either side for the clips that held it up  went into  He did tell me how much it weighed per mile  I can only remember it was a lot they had a sort of slipper that ran on it not wheels like the corporation There is still a last trolley bus post on Nottingham road just up from gregory blvd island before you get to Berridge road  As a young kid i got as far as moorgreen on one with the rest of the kids from our street only to get a tanning from my dad who had been all over on his bike looking for me no supper that night  meeowed

• Like 1

Unless the wheels have rubber tyres, they'd have to use sand on steep grades, so I'd hazard a guess they are like loco's these days and have a large sand tank mounted somewhere on the chassis, and the sand delivered to the driving wheels by compressed air through pipes from the tanks to the wheels. That's how the large underground and electric locos we used in mining worked.