• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for Ian  

Welcome Jane Any pictures would be appreciated

50p in a Taxi from Old Market Square ? Quid to get in ?

• 2 years later...

Hi, punk comrades of the mid-1970s!

Just stumbled across this amazing Nottstalgia site; I still miss my home-town even though I emigrated to Glasgow several decades ago and ended up marrying a fine Scots lassie. Well done the guy who started this Topic. I recognise some of the personal names mentioned in earlier posts on this topic and just wanted to say hello. Thanks for being a friend of the crazee, mixed-up kid (and, to quote The Adverts, whom among many other bands I saw live, very 'bored teenager') I was back then.

Al Duff

PS My daughter, 14, and I went recently to the Blondie photographic exhibition in London. I used to worship her like she was a goddess.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Michael and Ian.

I'd definitely give top rating to the Clash, not just because their tunes and lyrics were peerless but because they had an important political message. I remember them temporarily stopping a gig in Derby because they wouldn't play while kids were being beaten up on the dance floor; they looked after people.

Anyway, all the best.

Al

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I liked punk,it was a tour De force at the time,driven by press and some public resentment. The Clash were groundbreaking and I saw them on several occasions. Hitched to Bristol to see Sham 69, and saw them in a sweaty club..I suppose that was my ' seeing the Stones' at the Crawdaddy or The Who at The Railway Hotel. The vibrant and violent feeling was tremendous! Now I see it acted as part of the big picture..another tile in that mosaic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian

Thanks for the comment. I never saw Sham 69, but did once go to Bristol to buy clothes, although once did even better and got kitted out with one of my mates in the King's Road itself (spent all my holiday money on some outlandish attire!). You say the 'violent feeling was tremendous'. True, there was outrage, and some vandalism: the Clash notably once played on as 200 seats were ripped up and thrown onto the stage (the Rainbow, London, well-reported). But I don't think the punk scene was intrinsically violent; too creative for that, too conscientious, too gothic, too political. For violence our mortal foes the Teddy Boys and the Skinheads were much more serious propositions. We spent most of our time (or at least I did, with the very occasional feeble stand) avoiding their attentions. Oh to be young again.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Sandpiper a few times,saw some great bands there,U.K. Subs,Slaughter and the Dogs,Ruts. Fantastic times,remember the club down stairs and the ceiling was really low. Also all the little mirror tiles coming off the walls,great place,great memories. xxx

I spent many nights at the grey topper in jacksdale too,saw lots of bands there,members,adam and ants,pretenders......was a great time to be young,what a soundtrack to my teens and early 20s,then after rock city became my regular place. x

• Upvote 1

Hi vivkah

Fascinating! I too was at a (the?) Slaughter and the Dogs Sandpiper gig. I remember I went backstage and talked to a member of the band, an exceptionally nice guy. I hope he, whoever he is, is OK. The workers united will never be divided.

Al

I've had some good and bad fortune in my life but one huge piece of fortune was that I was out of the UK from 1972 to 1980 so missed most of it. As a mod I came back to the UK and couldn't believe what I was seeing, I still reckon had the mod thing still been going we would have run 'em out of town!

Not in full agreement Beeston mick,I never liked jungle music..doesn't mean it's crap,To state the obvious punk band,The pistols,there versions of Steppin stone,Cmon everybody and Watcha gonna do about were very credible.Pretty Vacant what a song!! I'm glad I was here for everything from physcobilly to Madchester.. its all part of music..Tony Brent to Laurie Driver..bring it on!!

• 2 years later...