Calling all Punk Rockers

Hi all old punks out there. Did any of you go to the Sandpiper in the lacemarket ? I remember seeing Stiff Little Fingers (while standing next to John Peel shortly after Forest had knocked Liverpool out of the European cup as a lot people pointed out to him), also saw The Dammned & the UK Subs there. It was a wonderful sweaty little venue. Also saw The Rezillos there the night that they had performed "Top Of The Pops" on, surprise surprise, Top Of The Pops ! I remember the place being attacked by National Front neanderthals but the bouncers giving them a good kicking. I remember seeing the Dammned in the market square on a outside broadcast by either BBC radio Nottingham or Radio Trent. Nottingham had it's own punk band, Some Chicken. They made a brilliant single "New Religion" ("got myself a new religion, kill yourself for bingo !") The Clash also played in Nottingham at the Palais. What a gig, what memories. I was to young to have seen the Sex Pistols at the boat club in '76 Did anyone out there go ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for Ian  

Welcome Jane Any pictures would be appreciated

50p in a Taxi from Old Market Square ? Quid to get in ?

Sorry, but the Punk 'Revolution' did nothing for me, there were some really good bands like the Clash and the Stranglers that had the misfortune to get tarred with the same brush, but I was glad when it was all over, a bit of teenage angst that I was too old for.

Your mention of the Rezillos made me smile. At the time, my then missus applied and got a job at an advertising agency in Essex, the previous bloke had quite the job to become drummer of the Rezillos, or after he joined, they became the Revillos.

He used to call in and invited us to one of their concerts at Colchester. It was very intimidating I have to say. We walked to the front of the qeue of dustbin bags, cockerels and pretend weekend piercers, and told the suspicious bloke on the door that we were friends of the band, fortunatley, matey was waiting and let us in. It was a very strange do, much jumping up and down and gobbing on each other, the band were not to good either, it was all a big thrash, not one of my favourite concert experiences, but at least everyone genuinely had fun and got off on it, good for them, more originality than McFly any day.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all old punks out there. Did any of you go to the Sandpiper in the lacemarket ? I remember seeing Stiff Little Fingers (while standing next to John Peel shortly after Forest had knocked Liverpool out of the European cup as a lot people pointed out to him), also saw The Dammned & the UK Subs there. It was a wonderful sweaty little venue. Also saw The Rezillos there the night that they had performed "Top Of The Pops" on, surprise surprise, Top Of The Pops ! I remember the place being attacked by National Front neanderthals but the bouncers giving them a good kicking. I remember seeing the Dammned in the market square on a outside broadcast by either BBC radio Nottingham or Radio Trent. Nottingham had it's own punk band, Some Chicken. They made a brilliant single "New Religion" ("got myself a new religion, kill yourself for bingo !") The Clash also played in Nottingham at the Palais. What a gig, what memories. I was to young to have seen the Sex Pistols at the boat club in '76 Did anyone out there go ?

Mr Smith. I sure remember the Sandpiper, I used to dj there, 'till I got banned for using the Cortinas gear when they were off stage. Before that I dj'd at Katies in Beeston, perhaps the first "punk" venue in Nottm. I well remember the Damned in the Mkt Sq, I have a few pics of that day, and was also lucky enough to get backstage at the Clash Palais gig, where there was a crate of beer and tray full of chips that the Clash said they had demanded, not for them but for The Buzzcocks. Bumped into Howard Devoto that night and asked him what he'd been doing since he'd left Buzzcocks, his reply "I went into the fruit business, but it went mushy!" funny what sticks in yer memory box.

• 1 year later...

I can just hear 'Tugs' voice in that last picture.

"Move along there , thank you"

And boy they did............LOL

Grand pics Red, where did you dig them up from??

• 1 year later...

Spent many sat aftanoons dossin in square with Sonia in pic Stapes etc... Goin off to gigs Sandpipers, Rock City, Grey Topper, Retford Porterhouse etc to name but a few places.

Saw Lynn in Arnold told me get on ere sure ure pics online on council house steps...Said loads of old skool punx on here be good to catch up sumtime if anyones about n remembers me as Jane or Jain as I spelt it bk then n Salli my sister whose still married to Wakey in English dogs

Anyone else see Annie Lennox and Siouxxie n the Banshees play at the Peoples college ........

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know when these photos were taken? Me and my partner were both punks in Nottingham from 77-80, we think these must postdate our era. We had different groups of friends which overlapped but we didn't know each other then. I shared a house in 1978 with Mark Asquith (Some Chicken vocalist) and their roadie, Wayne. I'm Jane and my partner is Ray. Ray went out with a girl called Sharon who we think may post on this forum. Friends we had in common were Coop, Eddie, Rick and we knew George (the cockney rockabilly with a limp). We both knew Beverley - a punk with a huge mohican. She had a sister called Sharon I think.

We both frequented the Sandpiper, upstairs at the Salutation and the Playhouse bar. We both went further afield to gigs on a regular basis.

I could go on but I'll leave it at that. Does this ring any bells?

Thanks

Punks do still exist, I have seen them, and would love to get them to pose for a picture but never have been brave enough to ask them. I wonder what the response would be today, or even then?

Hi all old punks out there. Did any of you go to the Sandpiper in the lacemarket ? Saw The Rezillos there the night that they had performed "Top Of The Pops" on, surprise surprise, Top Of The Pops !

50p in a Taxi from Old Market Square ? Quid to get in ?

sandpiper1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know when these photos were taken? Me and my partner were both punks in Nottingham from 77-80, we think these must postdate our era. We had different groups of friends which overlapped but we didn't know each other then. I shared a house in 1978 with Mark Asquith (Some Chicken vocalist) and their roadie, Wayne. I'm Jane and my partner is Ray. Ray went out with a girl called Sharon who we think may post on this forum. Friends we had in common were Coop, Eddie, Rick and we knew George (the cockney rockabilly with a limp). We both knew Beverley - a punk with a huge mohican. She had a sister called Sharon I think.

We both frequented the Sandpiper, upstairs at the Salutation and the Playhouse bar. We both went further afield to gigs on a regular basis.

I could go on but I'll leave it at that. Does this ring any bells?

Hello Jane!

I remember those days very well (well, some of them anyroad!)

Hope you're well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

re rockerbilly george he was still on the rock and roll scene a couple of years ago although i havenot seen him in a while now lives and helps with property sales in i think it was bullgeria or some place that areaand spending part of his time in nottingham and london when he was in englandhe used to come to hillside rock and roll night when he was in nottingham.

• 8 months later...