Hope you don't mind me riving an old thread.

Although it wasn't bought by me, the first record I 'owned' was when my grandpa and grandma asked what I wanted for my birthday, and I apparently insisted they got me 'Tom Dooley' by Lonnie Donegan. It was for my 5th birthday, and we only had a radiogram with a 78rpm deck on it, of course the record was a single 45. I can clearly remember having to persuade them and my mum and dad that really I wanted it, they didn't think it was suitable for a 5 year old, but gave in and I got it.

Despite it being a 45 I played it till I wore it out by holding onto the turntable to slow the speed down, whenever I hear it now (MP3 of course), I can still smell the heat from the valves in the old amp, and turntable motor overheating because of the drag on it.

I was much older when I had the money to buy a record, and something to play it on, so with the money from my paper round my first record was an album, 'The Rock Machine Turns You On'. My folks would probably say my teenage years went downhill from that point onwards.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HUH, I just asked Chris, What was the first single he bought. After a moments thought he said. Dave Berry...The Crying Game, he said he remembered, because a girl had just packed him in. We looked it

First single was Baby Face - Little Richard from a record shop on Radford Rd near Wilkinson St. This was followed by Dreamin' - Bobby Darin. From then on all my cash went on records by Everly Bros,

The last time I went down to see my Daughter they had already been on the web finding out how much some of them were worth, must admit I was astounded at some of the results they had come up with. If

My first record was bought from a second hand record shop on Denman Street. It was Dion's 'The Wanderer'; sounds as good now as it did back then.

There were a couple of second hand record shops on Denman Street back in the 50's/ 60's, anybody remember?

I remember Fabian and Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell; loved their records, especially Frankie Avalon's 'Venus If You Will' - simply gorgeous.

Both Frankie and Bobby are doing exceptionally well, I'll google Fabian.

I think it was Almost There by Andy Williams. I remember it got too near something warm once and warped just enough for it to go up and down as it spun. It made you feel seasick, LOL.

I think it was Almost There by Andy Williams. I remember it got too near something warm once and warped just enough for it to go up and down as it spun. It made you feel seasick, LOL.

I remember going to the pictures with my mum and dad to see that film !!! IMMSC it was a double feature with a Doris Day film ( 1965, God I'm old!!)

I didn't realise the song Almost There was from a film, had to google that to see for myself and the film was called I'd Rather Be Rich. Ya larn something new everyday!

I didn't realise the song Almost There was from a film, had to google that to see for myself and the film was called I'd Rather Be Rich. Ya larn something new everyday!

I actually rang my mum after typing that to see if she could remember what the other film was (As well as to be sure on the reason "ThePondarosa" got it's nickname!!)

She remembers it was a double feature but (Like me) that was it. I also went onto 'Wiki' and had a good scout round , because neither of us could remember who the co stars were !

The film you mention wasn't the one , we think it was actually called "Almost there" "I'd rather be rich" was a different film , but (We think) with the same stars in it (Apart fom Maurice Chervalier, who wasn't in Almost there, as far as we can remember !!)

http://en.wikipedia...._Rather_Be_Rich

There's no links on 'wiki' to Almost There as far as I can see but it does get a tiny mention in Andy Williams biography on there. My Mum has his autobiography but it doesn't get a mention in there either (But I'd rather be rich does !!!!!!)

http://en.wikipedia....i/Andy_Williams

Unless you managed to find something different Katy (If you did can you let me know to put my mind at rest !! Ta

EDIT..... Just done another search and it seems you're more than likely correct Katy . He did sing Almost there in "I'd rather be rich !!

That's the fellah!

It's just wierd that both of us were convinced the film was of the same title !! (Senile moments from us both!)

sorry beefy, but I never thought the movie was called Almost There, I didn't even know it was from any film, never mind that one. I posted the You Tube link because on the original link on Google, it said underneath "Words and music by Jack Keller and Gloria Shane, from the film I'd Rather Be Rich, starring Andy Williams and Sandra Dee" These words are missing on the link I put up there. BUT, I do have a lot of senile moments, just not this time LOL.

I meant me and my mum ...LOL

We were both convinced it was called Almost there, it was just a fluke that mum (And your good self) came up with 'I'd rather be rich' after reading the sinopsis , neither of us could remember Maurice Chevalier being in it and any of the story line either !! Then again I was 3/4 and my mums just daft ..........................ouch , sorry mum !

• 1 year later...

BUMP

First single was Rolf Harris "Sun Arise" (seems a little weird in the face of recent revelations) in 1962, from an Electrical and Record shop on Arkwright Street, think it was somewhere opposite Blacknells, and was about 4/6d. Remember it was on Columbia with an orangey coloured label.

Second one from the same shop a month or so later was "Zip A Dee Doo Dah" by Bob B Soxx and the Blue Jeans.

My first LP was The Beatles first LP, "Please Please Me", bought in August 1963 with my first month's wage. Cost about 37/6d from the Big Co-op.

First single I ever bought was 'Telstar' by the Tornadoes, think it cost 6/8p in about 1963 (?) and I've still got it somewhere. The first LP I bought was also 'Please Please Me'.

My first single was strangely an instrumental ,Johnny Dankworth and African Waltz , would only have been about 12 when it came out . Second was Roy Orbison and Dream Baby , third was The Four Seasons and Walk Like A Man .

First album was also Please Please Me , though I remember a girlfriend buying me the first of the Motown hits compilation LPs around the same time . Still got 'em.