Pleasure Park at Colwick and Trent Lane

Hi Ive recently joined your forum after stumbling onto it by accident. Im now 51years old and was raised in Arnold , which i left when I was 20. I have very vague memories of my parents taking out for the day and having a picnic by the river.Children were padldlng in a section of the river seperated from the main river by a fence cutting across the paddling area. There were a couple of kids rides and apassenger boat kept coming and going.We onlywent the once but there were many people there that day I was only a child at the time no older than 5. but when ive spoken about this Ive been told it was possibly colwick pleasure park on trent lane.Can anyone tell me anything about this place.share memories ,when did it close?are there any photos.? thanks popothepixie

!englandflag!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted a picture of myself and some family members on Paul Robey's website (BBC RADIO). Taken at the Pleasure Park and Tea Gardens in the 60's. Unfortunately you can't see any of the rides. When my

Re #4 & #8 For anyone who remembers the Pleasure Park. I have spoken again to the lady in the booking office. She remembered me and we had chat about the "Pleasure Park". She telephoned Christine

funny this subject should come up tonight just got in from white heart tonigh talking to old friend willy he was saying he was brought up meadow lane think he said firth st i think he said we got to t

Posted Images

Hi Popothepixie

There's plenty on the forum about the pleasure park and I believe some photo's, not sure where but I'm sure someone else will know, why not check through all the posts there's some great story's and memories been unleashed on this site. Welcome to the best site on the net

Rog

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I remember going there as a big treat probably mid 1950's...we couldn't afford holidays back then so we went on trips now and again.....we caught a bus from Alfreton Road and then a boat at Trent Bridge...none of your fancy casual outfits...we wore our best clothes.....all second hand but new to us!!

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...
Guest Phoenix

Forgive me and point me in the right direction if this is discussed somewhere. I've been trawling the threads but can't find any info.

Recently, I said to someone that, as a kid and new to Nottingham, in 1961 I went to a place on the Trent with a funfair. The memory was pooh poohed! Can anyone help please? Was there such a place and where was it?

I remember going once by car, but no idea of the route. But I also recall going by boat. With a friend, we got a boat from Trent Bridge and went down river...I think. We went under the bridge then, somewhere on the left, there was a little place with a small (and run down) fun fair where families went for a day out. I seem to think it was Colwick area, but I've googled and there's absolutely nothing looks familiar! Was there ever such a place?

Cheers :)

• Upvote 1

The search facility on this forum is not the most successful piece of design, but you are right that the subject has been mentioned before. Try this for a starting point - not at the very beginning of the thread, but move down a bit.

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1710&hl=gunthorpe

Guest Phoenix

Oh, very many thanks Cliff Ton. That's it, the Colwick one I half remembered. I'd forgotten completely about Gunthorpe which was closer to where I lived at Radcliffe. Thanks again, some wonderful recollections posted on the thread you've mentioned. :)

Its always been referred to as 'Pleasure Park' here Not funfair, so won't return search as no keyword present.

Google search 'Pleasure Park' Colwick =

colwick pleasure park - The Nottingham Forums

16 Dec 2008 - 4 posts - ‎4 authors
colwick pleasure park - posted in Owt' Abaaht Nowt !: Hi Ive recently joined your forum after stumbling onto it by accident. Im now 51years old ...

Colwick park ferry C.1907 - Page 3 - St Anns, Sneinton ...
15 posts
31 Jul 2012
Colwick Pleasure Park
4 posts
6 Feb 2010
pleasure park - St Anns, Sneinton & Colwick - Nottstalgia ...
20 posts
3 Sep 2009
pleasure park sneinton 1955 - St Anns, Sneinton ...
7 posts
22 Jul 2008

Guest Phoenix

Thanks mick2me. Some interesting threads. I hadn't thought of Pleasure Park as a search tag!

I remember the anticipation of the funfair, having moved from a seaside area, I was missing that beaches and fairs. The boat trip, I think it must have been on one of those pleasure cruisers was good. Then we arrived and I was looking round for a Big Dipper and dodgers. A couple of swing boats and a kiddies roundabout didn't quite do it for me! One of those occasions where it's better to travel than arrive.

I liked the row boat hire at TB. Thinking back, as someone commented, H & S wouldn't allow it now. As a 12 and 13 year old, with a friend we were allowed to hire the row boat for 30 mins or an hour. No life jackets and I remember once reaching a point where the current was stronger than us. I was just worrying that we wouldn't get back in the allotted time because I didn't have any more money; no sense of risk or danger from the elements. The joy of youth eh!

• Upvote 1

I can remember my dad taking me on the rowing boats at Trent Bridge (and sometimes Highfields) when I could have been no more than 3. But he was very much aware of the strength of the current, and invariably rowed UP river, not down. After we'd moved to Long Eaton (when I was 8 or 9) he used to take my younger sister out for a walk on Saturday mornings. For some reason my mum was a great deal more anxious about her, than she had been with me. Her last parting words were always "...and you're not to take her on a boat." Actually, he never did - he said in later life, "She [my sister] was different - she would never have sat still like he did."

Thanks Pheonix, see also

The Tom Trevethick Story - Page 2 - 'The Medders' - Nottstalgia ...
1 Feb 2013 - 20 posts - ‎9 authors

Page 2 of 3 - The Tom Trevethick Story - posted in 'The Medders': I wonder whatever happened to those old pleasure cruisers?
Stoke Ferry - Kat's Carlton Arnold & Sherwood Forum
20 posts
13 Feb 201
LATEST NEWSGROUP POSTING - + Av Yer Say +
4 posts
1 Dec 2006
Geoff Garner - ++ NOTTSREUNITED ++
3 posts
14 Nov 2006
More results from nottstalgia.com

Mick2me, #4

Seeing the interest again about the "Pleasure Park" has reminded me of the conversation I had quite a while back with a lady in the office at the Marina. She told me her relation may have some photo's, but I never got to see her again. We have to come to Nottingham again in a few days so we will make a point of going to see if it is possible for us to have some copies, as it looks as though this maybe the last hope of getting a photograph of a place that so many of us have happy memories from the 1950/60s

• Upvote 1

Definitely not many photographs to be found re the Colwick Park/Sands but found this little snippet: -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g1htl.johnfoster/colwick/ColwickPleasurePark.gif

During the 1900's steamers used to travel from Nottingham City at Trent Bridge to the Colwick Park which,had a small pleasure park intended for children to play, there was a small wildlife park, 3 public bars and a restaurant, the surrounding trees were lit by thousands of fairy lights illuminating the trees during the summer evenings. The power plant was housed in a glass building so all could see the generator.

Mb's post #30 gives a good picture of the location of Colwick Park and it was at the end of Trent Lane. The drawing shows a ferry service from the WB side to the Park.

Found this picture of the ferry in use back then...note the open fields of WB in the background: -

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM006804&prevUrl=

funny this subject should come up tonight just got in from white heart tonigh talking to old friend willy he was saying he was brought up meadow lane think he said firth st i think he said we got to talking about trickets and pleasure park and i told them that when we used to go i used to keep the return 3p bus fair in the pocket of my nave nickers or a little material draw string bag tied to the strap of my vest our friend willie and pat and mick were all sat there rolling with laughter at me

• Upvote 3

I went there when I was younger but I had no idea where we actually were (life is still sometimes like that).

So for anyone else who remembers it, but not the exact location.....

pleasure.jpg

And there is also a FERRY marked at the end of Trent Lane.

• Upvote 1

There was mention of a rope, that was used by the ferry, going across the River Trent in one of these threads. It was argued that a rope across the River Trent wouldn't have been possible because of the other boats and barges going up and down the river. I think that this photo from Trevor S (#9) shows that there was a rope across the River Trent.

http://www.pictureth...006804&prevUrl=

babs (#10), your friend, Willy, lived on Freeth Street, which was at the end of Grainger Street where I spent the first sixteen years of my life. I put a post on Nottstalgia where I recalled the games of football we had on Freeth Street. I use the term 'games of football' loosely as it was all out war...lol

Freeth Street is shown on the map from Cliff Ton (#11), just left of the letter H.

Guest Phoenix

@micktome #7

Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to post those links. I've been browsing through them. It's a bit like a treasure trail where you pick something up and it leads you somewhere else. Some cracking photos and amazing memories, so I'm enjoying those and so many other threads. Much appreciated :)

• Upvote 1

michael deeps yes willy as we call him is willy wyre know him for years,comes down the old whitehart at least once a fortnight when his wife is working before he goes of to pick her up now lives bakersfield carlton area

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pleasure Park at Colwick and Trent Lane