Nottingham Hippodrome 1915

Hey Littlebro some great pictures.

The old Gaumont will always stick in my mind cos' as a child I remember being taken by my Ma & Pa to see Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. We left half way through because yours truly threw a hissy fit - well I was only five.

The Passing Show of 1918 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 15 Jan 2008 ... The Passing Show of 1918 is a Broadway musical revue which opened in the Winter Garden Theater on July 25, 1918. ...

According to Wikipedia, it might be a later picture?

• 2 years later...

See, things just as bad back then! sh1t all over the road, some vandal climbing on cars, no one bothering with seat belts, and lousy looking weather! yes great pics, funny (as in sad) to think all those people will be dead and gone now,

And they knocked down the Nottingham Empire on the right of the Theatre Royal to build

the pile of crap that is there today!

Note also the Theatre Square underground bog.

• 9 months later...
I wish I'd had a milliner's shop in those days, everyone wore hats!
In Chicago in the thirties two gangsters robbed a bank losing their hats in their getaway.The police arrived minutes later.The streets being packed they had no chance of spotting them. One cop spotted their hats on the floor...on a hunch he ran into a hat shop opposite and there they were buying hats...they knew,and he guessed..they had no chance of a clean getaway without hats.They would have stuck out like a sore thumb.
  • 2 weeks later...

LOOKING AT THE STILL PHOTOES FROM 1915 I CAN SEE SEVERAL OF THE MEN HAD MUSICAL INTRUMENTS WITH THEM I WONDER IF ITS THE STAFF AND ORCHESTRE MY GREAT UNCLE JAMES OR JACK HENSHAW AS HE WAS KNOW. PLAYED THE TROMBONE AT THE HIPERDROME WONDER IF HE WAS ON THISES PHOTOES SOMEWERE, HE WAS A VERY ELDERLY MAN AS I REMEMBER HIM WHEN I WAS A SMALL CHILD.

Babs, The Nottingham Royal Hippodrome was one of many Hippodromes’ belonging to Thomas Barrasford spread across the UK. I believe that they held weekly revues using artistes that travelled from venue to venue. I was told that the five images I posted show sequential weeks in the autumn of 1915. As part of their 'duties', the artists travelled to local WW1 hospitals to entertain injured troops. I also understand that some artistes were foreign nationals in the UK to avoid the war.

My grandfather was the chauffeur in the photos, hence the images being available now.

WELL MY GREAT UNCLE JAMES WAS BORN AROUND 1865 SO COME MID 50S HE WOULD HAVE BEEN AROUND 60 YEARS OLD AND THAT WAS CONCIDERED OLD IN THEM DAYAND LIFE EXPECTANCY WAS ONLY ABOUT 70