xmas pork pie breakfast

Merthyr Imp;

As mentioned above, Morrisons sell Dickens & Morris pies, and sometimes have a Melton pie available on the deli counter not to be confused with their "Vale of Mowbray" range of own-brand budget pies which are OK but nowt special.

Well, they do in Carmarthen anyway. And you'll find decent pork pies and faggots in the indoor market.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

Merthyr Imp;

As mentioned above, Morrisons sell Dickens & Morris pies, and sometimes have a Melton pie available on the deli counter not to be confused with their "Vale of Mowbray" range of own-brand budget pies which are OK but nowt special.

Well, they do in Carmarthen anyway. And you'll find decent pork pies and faggots in the indoor market.

Much as i like pork pies, Carmarthen is a bit far to go from here! I think Ebbw Vale is the nearest Morrisons, all we've got here is Tesco, Asda and Co-op.

I bought a Morrisons own "Pork and Egg" today off of the "Woopsie" counter for 25p ! going to have a bit for supper with some Branston pickle. I'm not holding my breath but for 25p there's no loss really !

Vale of Mowbray, pork pies = massed produced muck from Yorkshire, mind you they might be better then Pork Farms pies..............

A tip for anyone thinking of going to Dickens & Morris in Melton. Next door, they have a sauage shop with over 20 sorts of sausage and home cured bacons.

Great for breakfast, with that first cupper tea.gifof the day.....................

Vale of Mowbray, pork pies = massed produced muck from Yorkshire, mind you they might be better then Pork Farms pies..............

Doesn't the law say that any pie called a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie has to be made in Melton Mowbray?

So presumably they resort to tricks like this in an attempt to fool people and flout the law.

Never mind Melton Mowbray, if you're ever in Lincoln get a Curtis's pork pie. I was brought up on having pork pie for breakfast every Sunday as well as Christmas (still do) but that was living in Lincolnshire in the 1950s before we moved to Nottingham. I'd always thought it was a Lincolnshire custom, in fact when I was living in Nottingham people expressed surprise at the thought of pork pie for breakfast.

Where in Lincoln? I'm going to be there next Saturday so I'll have a look for them.

Trust me they are. Nowhere near as good as a genuine Melton Mowbray of course, but not bad for the price.

When I still lived in Notts, Pork Farms were a decent brand. I tried one a few months ago, it was completely, utterly, rubbish. Greasy as hell, soggy and no taste at all. I'll never buy another.

• Upvote 1

Morrisons own pork and egg................ don't bother............ more air than a board of football directors.......... less taste than Katy Price.

Where in Lincoln? I'm going to be there next Saturday so I'll have a look for them.

Last time I was in Lincoln (10 months ago) there was still the main Curtis's shop on the High Street. That's if you have your back to the cathedral, the shop is on the right hand side about 100 yards past the level crossing heading away from the cathedral The other city centre shop is - or was 10 months ago - heading the other way, towards the cathedral, just through the Stonebow then to the right. It's actually just on Silver Street.

They do good haslet, and stuffed chine. And cakes...making me hungry! When I lived in Bulwell 16 years ago the Gateway supermarket in Bulwell used to sell Curtis's cakes.

Doesn't the law say that any pie called a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie has to be made in Melton Mowbray?

Can they call it that, if its a Melton Mowbray style Pork Pie?

Were they invented in MM?

http://www.curtisoflincoln.com/classic-pies/

There is a Curtis's near to the station, on High Street.

Out of the station turn left then left over the railway crossing, walk back away from the cathedral direction.

Its on the right.

http://www.curtisoflincoln.com/stores/164-high-street-lincoln/

curtiss_zps869aad86.jpg

NO NOT A CHANCE DONT THINK THERE IS ONE FOOD SHOP ON THE GREEN OR FOREST FIELDS NOWDAYS THE TWO BED SHOPS ARE STILL THERE THOUGH STILL RUN BY ENGLISH FAMILIES DONT THINK ANY OF THE OTHER INDEPENDANT SHOPS ARE RUN BY ENGLISH PEOPLE A LOT OF THEM IF YOU GO IN CARNT OR DONT EVEN BOTHER TO TALK TO YOU IN ENGLISH THE ONLY ONE I USE IS OFFLICENCE ON BEECH AVE AT LEAST THEY MAKE THE EFFORT TO SPEAK TO YOU IN ENGLISH

I didn't do very well in Lincoln yesterday.

Found two Curtis shops, the one over the level crossing and another up near the stone arch.

Both had plenty of nice cakes, sandwiches and filled rolls, hot sausage rolls and pasties, but no pork pies.

But it was after 3pm so maybe they had sold out!

• 5 months later...

Re #124, could Sandersons be the same firm that made meat pies in the 40's & 50's. I think it was somewhere near where Wilkinsons is in Bulwell. My dad used to get pies from Sandersons to sell in his chippie.

Slight thread drift. When I was in the RAF and used to hitch hike back home from down South, always used to come via Melton Mowbray. Stopping off to pick up a Fleur-de-Lis chicken and mushroom pie. Their shop used to be open really late of an evening, probably for those leaving the pubs. This was over fifty years ago, but still remember the pies - magic.

Spent some time at RAF Yatesbury in 1964, close to Calne in Wiltshire. There was a large bakery/meat works down there that was renown for it's pork pies, and they were good. They also made some pretty special pork sausages.

PS. I think the company was "Harris's of Calne, Wiltshire"

Used to call in a small bakers in Gosforth in Cumbria. Meat and potato pie wrapped in foil and stuffed next to the radiator in my Granada was the highlight of my day.It was to die for...I told the lass if she ever set up in Nottingham she'd make a fortune.Absolutely Deeeelicious.Got back home to all the chippies announcing...'We sell Pukka Pies'....YUK!...wouldn't give 'em the dog.

A proper pie shop in Notts would make a bomb...price wouldn't matter if they made scrumptious pies without all the soya and monosodium glutamate crap they shove in 'em.

No wonder magpies and crows are doing so well with all this inedible rubbish dumped on the streets.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yup, 7.30am this morning. We like Pork Farms or Melton Mowbray: but hard to find round here, so we discovered we like Morrisons Lattice Top Pork Pie. Problem is: Will it still be around on Christmas Day???? :biggrin:

Well my good lady bought me 2 medium pork pies to sample xmas day, we have a kilo of uncooked Black tiger prawns going in chilli & garlic marinade and a kilo of local mussels to be done on the bbq for lunch. Full English breakfast. The rest of the day will be nibbles.

And maybe if it's not too hot boxing day we will be enduring a thick beef eye rib roast with yorkshire pudding cooked around the meat, with usual veggies.

• Upvote 4