xmas pork pie breakfast

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

216 #..............some good old brands there Ian..................and Jill,think Bramwells new'    ,wife got it from Morrisons,.......and on the subject of Pork Pies............Marsdens only stocked Parrs and at Xmas the shop on Andover road was full of em,all ordered weeks before........I used to work for Marsdens you know......................

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, TBI said:

Vestas were terrific, when we were kids, me and my little sister used to do them for supper. We liked the ones with the crispy noodles best.

Used to love watching my mum put the crispy noodles in a hot frying pan; they started flat and dull, but after a few seconds of heat they puffed up, expanded and become crispy and three times the size; like a cross between popcorn and quavers.

That was really impressive when you're 7 years old.

• Upvote 2

Gerraway, Ben! Ya never!

My father always ordered the Christmas pork pie from somewhere on Denman Street, at least until 1964, as mum, my sister and I always went to visit our relatives in Garden Street on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. There'd be home made elderberry wine, mince pies etc and then dad would arrive, having broken up from work for Christmas. He'd collected the pie and whatever he'd ordered for Christmas dinner on the way. He was very particular about his pork pies!

Then we'd walk home together in the dusk, over the cobbled streets. Very powerful memories there of a wonderful childhood!

• Upvote 2

Vesta foods were a big thing when they were introduced (early 60s I think) we'd never seen all this foreign stuff,.........we didn't know where to Merchandise em.............so we stuck em on top of the FF Fridges in every store..........seemed right cos Birds Eye,Ross and Findus were all pretty new back then as well...............

There were a lot of things in kit form, ie everything you needed to make the product pictured on the box, in the 60s. I remember Promise, lemon meringue pie. Think they did other desserts as well. Birds trifle kits etc. Probably full of the now banned hydrogenated fats!

Smash dried potato and Marvel milk was, I suppose, only like the stuff available during the war. Don't remember seeing any powdered egg though.

• Upvote 1

Pork Pies were/are even popular with 'Lifters'................caught a School Teacher at Mapperley Coop early one morning with one in each pocket and jar of Colemans Mustard down his trousers..........he was late for school that morning............lol.

• Upvote 2

He went not guilty in court,said I planted em on him........... the mustard down the trousers,.let him down.......i'm sure he'd have noticed me rummaging in his trousers...........lol.............anyway found guilty and fined..............

• Upvote 3

Do you mean Fray Bentos?

There was some kind of a scare about Fray Bentos tinned foods during the early 60s. Can't remember exactly what it was but I think some had been contaminated. Ever afterwards, my mother would have no truck with the Fray Bentos label! 

Ben can probably remember the details because a lot of people stopped buying them.

Yes Jill............it was all Beef from Argentina..........corned beef sales took a slump....................

• Upvote 1