xmas pork pie breakfast

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

I've just remembered something else we used to have when I was little. It came in a tin and was in powder form until mixed with water which made a pink paste. It was then fried in a pan and was some sort of fritter. Tasted quite unusual. Must have had some tomato in it. Can't remember what it was called. My sister loved it.

Anyone know what I'm on about, because I don't! Help, Ben!   :wacko:

Oh no Jill................we also had to look after the 'Great Unwashed'.......it was the Missionary in us........Corned Beef we stocked in many brands,....all came in that unique shaped 12oz can..................Fray Bentos,Princess,Hereford and Veribest..............it also came in 6lb cans which we opened and sold sliced at 1/4 per Qtr.

226# edit.........got me there Jill,i'll give it some thought............

• Upvote 2

Jill..............can't recall selling it,but it sounds like a form of powdered egg.......................

• 1 month later...

Age 12 (early 1960's)  I worked on my uncle's farm near Wysall. I was called into the kitchen after all animals fed and watered and offered pork pie, Branston pickle, a glass of sherry and unsliced bread. Kept this tradition going for the last 52 years and my son in law also buys into the tradition. Family originated from Sutton Bonnington, again as farmers.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Nottingham born and bred, got married and moved to Bramcote. I never heard of pork pie for breakfast until I visited the 'Rosegrower' pub (now long gone). Everyone in the pub told me it was a local tradition to eat pork pie with mustard for Christmas breakfast, so for the last 40 years I eat pork pie, mustard, a piece of Stilton and drink a glass of port, Christmas morning. Heaven on a plate and in a glass.

I read somewhere that it was a tradition that originated in Nottinghamshire in Victorian times, and D.H. Lawrence always had this for Christmas breakfast.

Re: previous comments about fried eggs. - I once had a pint of Kimberleys at the Railway And Nelson in Kimberley (across the road from the brewery), and ordered a fried egg and bacon cob. I bit into the cob, and the egg yoke ran down my fingers. The best cob I ever eaten in my life!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

I love pork pie, but for the life of me, I can't find any with a decent jelly inside. There must be somewhere that sells them. I've asked at shops where they sell "hand raised pies" and they say "oh yes there's jelly in", but when you cut into them, bugger all !