xmas pork pie breakfast

Hi.. Every christmas morning my late father who came from Arnold used to have pork pie for breakfast. when I later asked him about it he said it was a tradition carried out in Nottingham .Something simple to start the day that did not need cooking .When I married I had my pork pie breakfast. my wife who comes from Sneinton told me she had never heard of this . is it an old Nottingham tradition ? or wasit something my dad dreamed up?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

Well, all these bloody years and I thought my old man was the only one who did this! He used to reckon it was tradition too, but I've no idea where it originates from.

Denshaw, I have heard the expression used but didn't know what it meant, thanks for that!

I can't believe how few of you have heard of it !! as I said Tomato Soup is another tradition (I am not making this up )

No, never heard of that one, we always had a full fried breakfast Christmas morning.

Porkpie was for Boxing Day with us.

And I thought it was only eaten in our household at Christmas too!!!

I hated it, but it had advantages later on, after a Christmas Eve out on the town and many pints, it was a blessed relief not to have a greasy fry up shoved in front of me on Xmas morning.

The peice of pork pie I had in the club last night before I made my way to the station was very nice.

The only thing that let it down was the crust that was IMO over cooked also there weren't no jelly but the meat was top rate stuff, all washed down with a pint of the dark stuff.

Bip.

nah ,, cut the white off (carefully ) eat that, and then scoop up the runny yolk (Still whole , hopefully ) and 'shovel it in ya gob , and squeeze it with yer tongue till juice comes aht' ...........Loverly!!!!!!!

Superb , there used to be a youth that sat @ our table @ breakfast opposite me eating his scabby white bit , then he would lift that runny slimy yolk on his fork , and burst it on his tongue.

The dirty dirty scabby horrible disgusting tramp , he is now banned from our card table and has to sit with the man-riders.

Paul Shaw thats you named and shamed . You missed the lads night out @ chrimbo you wasn't invited . Go away.

Dirty man.

I too use to sit with a chap who did exactly the same thing with his egg...Alan Boston...wander where he his now?

We never ostracised him thou from our table, maybe we should have do?

He left the Horizon factory to work on city transport, I bet he wished he had stayed were he was because if he had he would like me be retired by now with a lovely pention.

Bip

Just read this thread and had to go and make myself a fried egg butty for my dinner.............

Ayup Beefsteak.

With ref,to the picture, the Chips were a work of art, it's the only way to describe them, the eggs were perfect not too runny just right and the ham melted on the fork, in fact it was that crumbly one would have faired better using a spoon, peas, spot on, in fact I was that impressed with the food I just had to take a photograph so that I could share it with every one on this site.

For drinks I was in a wreckless mood and treated myself to 1/2 pint of Lancaster Bomber which is specially brewed for the Blue Bell, It's difficult to describe really, the closest I guess would be to liken it to a smooth wine. All this in surroundings depicting all your aviation hero's, a lunchtime to remember.

I hope my description has managed to fill in some of the gaps that a mere photograph cannot

(sits back and waits for it to hit the fan)

Rog

I should watch yer back now....and dont go out walking alone in the dark anywhere. hee hee

Im sure we'll discover all this as we've been invited to stay up there in one o the statics round the back in summer.......Lotsa ham n eggs. !cheers!