xmas pork pie breakfast

...in fact I was that impressed with the food I just had to take a photograph so that I could share it with every one on this site...

Excellent description, Rog...you should be the bon viveur of the Coningsby Clarion...the AA Gill of West Lincs!

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

Afraid I haven't got a decent enough pair of heavy duty gloves or any de-contamination equipment that could cope with handling GK beer mats.

Incidentally, did anyone have pork pie for breakfast this morning, I was tempted to get some from Tessies last night but the only ones they had were crap, perhaps it's an unknown Braintree habit and they had sold out of the decent stuff.

Did anyone have a turkey from Morrisons, my outlaws paid £30 for a top range Bronze jobbie from there and we thought it was crap, dry and tasteless, they are going in to complain about it on saturday, in fact they found the quality of food sold from there this christmas to be pretty awful, particularly the veg and salad, what they had in stock that is. On the other hand we went to Tessies yesterday evening and got some fantastic bargains, good stuff as well, turkeys were going for bog all, and the shop was empty, moral of the story, do your Xmas food shopping at the last moment, as long as it isn't for pork pie.

Jaffa cakes and coffee !!! loverly

Incedently we had a Morrisons Turkey and if you look at the pictures ,in my blog , you will see that it cooked up a treat. Same with the pigs in blankets , and these were just their bog standard chippolatas ,

It's all down to patience and preparation when cooking , and presentation for the table . Admitedly you have to be a bit quick to do what I did as turkey goes cold quick, so best to have a warm plate first.

Another way is to do it as in olden days , cook it the night before and make lashings of piping hot gravy to heat it through (I would use this method but SWMBO and the kids don't like gravy) It also carves a lot easier if it's cold by the way .

I still make gravy though . Some of the turkey fat,a drop of water, and the liver / kidneys / heart , boiled up . Throw the heart away and finely chop the kidney/ liver . add a chicken oxo and a spoon of gravy powder (First made in to a paste with some cold water ) add some of the water that was used for the veg and boil and stir all the time until it is to your liking.Then using a turkey baster remove the fat that floats to the top. Very tasty !! (I still have about half a pint left )

Sorry Beefsteak, but Liz's mum is one of the best and experienced cooks around, I just called in to see 'em and they are really wound up about what Morrisons sold them, they are going there to complain about it tomorrow, though I couldn't see anything wrong with it meself, but then I'm not that keen on turkey anyway. Perhaps Morrisons oop north send the contents of their dustbins down to Essex, don't blame them either.

I had my Ilkeston prize winning black pudding for breakfast this morning, fantastic, the supermarket chains down here that bother to sell black pudding must find theirs in the gutter, the difference between them in terms of taste and texture is incomparable.

Incidentally, I notice that Tesco's and Sainsburies have started to sell our last remaining proper local beer, Nethergate Bitter and Nethergate Umbrell, it's lovely stuff and brewed just a few miles up the road near the village of Clare just over the border in Suffolk, it has Nottingham links because the Cavendish family originally came from there. If you see it, buy it before the GK vultures shut down that brewery as well, they already have a ban on selling it in their 'Pubs' and are making all efforts to prevent it being sold anywhere else. It's a ridiculous situation where you struggle to find an outlet or pub for your nearest local brewery, but at least the big chains are stocking it, if it's next to Greene King p1$$, vomit and crap on the shelves of our stores, I remove this rubbish and put it on the floor out the way of a proper beer, it's insulting otherwise.

"Eeh the black puddings are especially black today mum, even the white bit's are black"

The testing of Eric Olthwaite from the book and DVD " Ripping Yarns" by Michael Palin

Jaffa cakes and coffee !!! loverly

I still make gravy though . Some of the turkey fat,a drop of water, and the liver / kidneys / heart , boiled up . Throw the heart away and finely chop the kidney/ liver . add a chicken oxo and a spoon of gravy powder (First made in to a paste with some cold water ) add some of the water that was used for the veg and boil and stir all the time until it is to your liking.Then using a turkey baster remove the fat that floats to the top. Very tasty !! (I still have about half a pint left )

I am impressed... This is (almost) exactly the way I have always made it. (and I have been called the greatest gravy-maker in the world) Try mixing Sainsbury sauce flour with the gravy powder (which MUST be Bisto), when doing gravy for white meats (only). It never goes lumpy, does not distract from the taste.. and has a slightly more aesthetic colour for lighter meats. It is important to make sure it simmers for approx 8 minutes. There are a few more tricks to enhance the taste, but they are staying my secret... There is never ANY left !!!

• 11 months later...

Don't forget the runny egg Nick!!!

No that's Puke - Porky pie that's now off the menu as well - After a bit of Googling Ginsters says its new range of pork pies will breathe life into the declining category -“Research has highlighted that the perfect pork pie should be well seasoned, contain fresh British pork and have firm and crunchy pastry –

and hopefully no scabby jelly !!

Look before you crack.

balut.jpg

"Eeh the black puddings are especially black today mum, even the white bit's are black"

That gag was lifted straight from The Goodies' "Ecky Thump" episode. The episode is infamous for the documented example of a man laughing to death. 50 year old Alex Mitchell could not stop laughing for a continuous 25 minute period - almost the entire length of the show - and suffered a fatal heart attack as a result of the strain placed on his heart. His widow later sent the Goodies a letter thanking them for making Mitchell's final moments so pleasant.

• Upvote 1

I bought 4 Pork Pies on Christmas Eve, Sainsbury's brand, intending to have one for breakfast the next day. On Xmas Eve we had a buffet tea and Liz cut up the pork pies and put them out, they were so nice that our son scoffed the lot, so I ended up having a bacon sandwich for breakfast the next day, my fault for not hiding one.

My mother's family came from Arnold/Daybrook and ran the bakers shop (Ellis's) and it is absolutally correct that Pork Pie for Christmas breakfast was the tradition. My uncle from Sherwood also had it but not sure if it was a Sherwood tradition too or that he married my Anty from Arnold.

A couple of Jaffa cakes and Coffee for me I'm afraid. I had bought a 'Morrisons Hand Raised' pie on Wednesday but (The same as you Pete) SWMBO dished it up for Buffet tea!! Ah well, maybe next year.

• 11 months later...

Things you can get away with saying only at Christmas:

1. I prefer breasts to legs.

2. Tying the legs together keeps the inside moist.

3. Smother the butter all over!

4. If I don't undo my trousers, I'll burst!

5. Are you ready for seconds yet?

6. It's a little dry, do you still want to eat it?

7. Don't play with your meat.

8. Stuff it up between the legs as far as it will go.

9. You still have a little bit on your chin.

10. How long will it take after you put it in? .

11. You'll know it's ready when it pops up.

12. Just pull the end and wait for the bang.

13. That's the biggest bird I've ever had!

14. I'm so full, I've been gobbling nuts all morning

• Upvote 1