xmas pork pie breakfast

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

Mrs B Welcome to NS. You'll hear all sorts of banter here old and new. Enjoy it. BTW  I'm from Barrow in Furness just across the water. Mum and Dad both worked in the ship yard. A few years ago my husband and I passed through Barrow. Me wanting to drink some sass and my husband wanting to see where I was born. No longer sass made, so sad.

Hi nonnaB

Hubby is from Heysham. We go up to the Lakes twice a year and have done several deja vue trips round there and Barrow. His family originate from Galgate.

Happy NY AND ALL THE BEST FOR 22

Mrs B 

Hi MrsB. Dad was from Millom and visiting his family in Ulveston as children we would always look out for the blue works and the Hoad ( Hode?) on top of the hill.. Very fond memories spent with my maternal grand parents winkling and treading for eels over Walney.

Sorry Phil I don't know. Ive done a quick research but it doesnt mention Millom but it does mention a Waterford Mill. It does mention thoughj the surrounding area. 

• 2 months later...

Phil, If you find one that still has jelly in, please let me know. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. 

• 2 months later...

My mam used to work in one of those pork  farm  shop in nottm years ago she'd bring home scotch eggs , pasties, and pork pies lovy to remember .

Don't know if those pork farms shop are still around anymore , but i am sure someone will tell me !

On 12/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, MargieH said:

Good morning to you too BK.

and just to keep on topic…… I actually dislike pork pie, for breakfast, lunch, dinner or for a snack between meals.  It’s mainly the jelly I find unpleasant but also the colour…. The pastry is nice though!

Love the pastry ate the jelly !!!!!

On 11/4/2016 at 3:20 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I was a bit apprehensive about mentioning it, Ben, as thought perhaps Marsden's was a bit too high class to stock tinned steak & kidney pies/puds or common corned beef! 

;)

It was fray bentos tinned steak pie , once afew of us lads camped out at bulwell hall park remember those disused railway embankments ? Some one said there was a ghost train at midnight , we camped out we had a fray bentos pie with no tin opener to open that flat round tin , and no idea how to cooking it , funny old days them 70,s were !!!

On 11/3/2016 at 4:04 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

There were a lot of things in kit form, ie everything you needed to make the product pictured on the box, in the 60s. I remember Promise, lemon meringue pie. Think they did other desserts as well. Birds trifle kits etc. Probably full of the now banned hydrogenated fats!

Smash dried potato and Marvel milk was, I suppose, only like the stuff available during the war. Don't remember seeing any powdered egg though.

Jill, i remember that birds eye trifle mix, we used too have it for sunday tea , the custard put me off abit but it was a good pudding ,but not as good as me Dad's ho.e made rice pudding baked in the oven !!

On 12/24/2008 at 6:32 AM, radfordred said:

That egg needs turning over & cooking for @ least another 20 minutes , i refuse to eat @ the same table has anyone you eats a snotty runny egg.

Yeah me too can't abide a runny egg still to this day !!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So where is the best Pork Pie around Nottingham ? Any recomendations ?

Barlows Butchers do a good one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 8:04 AM, Annesley Red said:

So where is the best Pork Pie around Nottingham ? Any recomendations ?

Barlows Butchers do a good one.

Evening all, been a while.

Much as it pains me to say it, the best pork pie I've ever tasted in me life is Tesco's "Ultimate" one, which I'm pretty sure is a Dickens and Morris product.

Chunks of proper pork, tasty jelly, and a nice spicy flavour. All for less than four quid.

• Like 1

Is a pork pie still a breakfast dish in Nottinghamshire on Christmas morning? 

Do you eat it on its own, with sauce or something else

I came from a mining village in North Notts and to the best of my knowledge no one in our extended family ate it.

14 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Is a pork pie still a breakfast dish in Nottinghamshire on Christmas morning? 

Never had that. Boxing day was usually some left over pigs in blankets fried in goose fat and wedged between two thick slices of white bread. Sauce was an option, extra cholesterol wasn't.

PS; my Nan always said the white bread was "Clarty" When asked to explain, she just used to say "Well, Clarty's Clarty"

never did find out.