xmas pork pie breakfast

I think ‘clarty’ means it almost sticks to the inside of your mouth.  Same as mud sticking to your boots

• Like 1
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

On 12/31/2021 at 12:23 AM, radfordred said:

I once put them square & triangle dog biscuits on a plate with his cup of tea, he ate the lot, how I chuckled :biggrin:

I had a niece who as a toddler ate the Bonio's with their Labrador. To this day she has lovely glossy hair.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Is a pork pie still a breakfast dish in Nottinghamshire on Christmas morning? 

Do you eat it on its own, with sauce or something else

I came from a mining village in North Notts and to the best of my knowledge no one in our extended family ate it.

Aha the pork pie conversation again. We have always had it for Christmas Day breakfast with toast.

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

I think ‘clarty’ means it almost sticks to the inside of your mouth.  Same as mud sticking to your boots

Yes Margie that's my understanding too.

My mum used it as a verb. She would say don't clart that all around the table if I was using glue for example.

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Is a pork pie still a breakfast dish in Nottinghamshire on Christmas morning? 

Do you eat it on its own, with sauce or something else

I came from a mining village in North Notts and to the best of my knowledge no one in our extended family ate it.

You're obviously upper class Oz.

4 hours ago, MRS B said:

Aha the pork pie conversation again. We have always had it for Christmas Day breakfast with toast.

I think you're almost the only person who has ever posted on here and said they are familiar with the Xmas Pork Pie thing. Virtually no-one else has ever come across it.

The thread was started 14 years ago by popothepixie and he/she hasn't been back again for 10 years.

My dad regularly had pork pie for breakfast at Christmas when I was a youngster in the 1950s and 60s. Back then I wasn't a fan but as I've aged I'm quite partial to it. 
My late father in law who was from Leamington got me into it with his liking for Saxby's offering. I believe they sadly ceased trading in 2017.
I sometimes make do with the Dickinson & Morris one from Waitrose now I'm down in Dorset although last year I tried one from Crow Farm in the New Forest and was quite impressed although it was a little pricey.

I think HP sauce (another Nottingham creation) is the perfect accompaniment.

Never given it a thought previously Pork Pies association with Christmas...........

However looking back to the 60s and my time at Marsdens.......we always took dozens of orders for them at ''Yuletide'' even at the smaller shops......Marsdens  bought them from TN Parr of Beeston...........

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

You're obviously upper class Oz.

No Alpha, just proud to be from a mining family that just never had pork pie for breakfast on Christmas Day.

I was partial to Christmas cake and some strong bitey mature Cheddar later in the day

We all wear Xmas pyjamas all day as well now, there’s only the four of us. Couldn’t have done it when mum was alive and used to come, you had to be dressed up to the nines bless her. 

If anyone is interested here is a link to a pork pie recipe from the "Gridiron" 

How to make pork pie – recipe | Food | The Guardian

Far more interesting is the comments section which recommends pork pies from all over the UK such as

Lincoln, Pepperdines Butchers

Skipton, Stanforths

Leicester, Walkers