xmas pork pie breakfast

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

I said it a few years ago earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again now......I'd never heard of the idea of Xmas Pork Pie Breakfast until I read about it here on Nottstalgia.

And I've still never heard of it anywhere else apart from here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When I was about 10 my sister and husband came to stay with us over the Christmas period and much to my amusement she emphasised to my mother that he had to have pork pie for breakfast  Christmas morning. I have never heard it again until reading it on Nottstalgia.

I thought it was a long established tradition to have a pork pie Christmas breakfast here in Notts. I can remember having it way back into the distant past. There always used to be a long ‘pork pie queue’ outside Pork Farms shops on Christmas Eve morning in the days before supermarkets. We always have the pie with champagne now of course!

• Like 1

Got to say that although we always had a Pork Pie at Christmas, I'd never heard of the idea of a  Pork Pie Breakfast.  In our family, it was more likely to be served alongside whatever salad, pickles, and cold meats were on offer in the evening.

My paternal Grandmother, who kept the Bestwood Hotel in Bestwood Village, always made a huge Pork Pie at Christmas, as well as  her own Picallily etc. Cream Horns, with home made jam and buttercream filling and so on.

• Like 1

We never had pork pie for Christmas Day breakfast - I’d never heard of it until Paul and I went to stay at his parents’ house for Christmas very early in our marriage.  I was very surprised when pork pie and a slice of ham was put on my plate at breakfast.   I couldn’t face it and think I just had some toast.   This was in LEICESTER!

There’s some info on the web about it. It seems to be a Victorian invention. It probably runs in families. Some do, some don’t. We always have done it and most people I know follow the tradition. It’s about the only time I eat pork pie these days as good ones are a rarity now.

Ian, ya daft bugger. They're buying the pies for their cars.  When the handbrake won't work, they wedge the pies under the front wheel.

Had one in my car for years. thumbsup

• Like 3
1 minute ago, IAN FINN said:

You daft bugger thats Gun Gum.

Not heard that for a few years... wonder if they still make it?

We have always had pork pie with toast for Christmas Day breakfasts, I thought it was a northern thing as my grandad was from Yorkshire but being Notts born and bred have always carried it on. My husband is from Morecambe and it’s also a favourite up there. 

I agree better with more jelly in the pie though 

Hello Mrs.B, how nice to hear from you. Feel free to put in your two pennuth and join our friendly banter. May I wish you....

HAPPY NEW YEAR. thumbsup

I'm off to bed now. Good night all.

Hello Beekay. Happy New Year to you too!  Love the banter.

Mrs B

So do I.  That's one of the great features about Nottstalgia, but also you can find a wealth of knowledge and information from the many talented folks on here. There are some that although we've never met, I like to feel are friends I  keep in touch with. If you need to know anything, just ask, I'm sure somebody will help. Take care.

To all others, 'MORNING ALL' !

Good morning to you too BK.

and just to keep on topic…… I actually dislike pork pie, for breakfast, lunch, dinner or for a snack between meals.  It’s mainly the jelly I find unpleasant but also the colour…. The pastry is nice though!

• Upvote 1

A nice chunk of pork pie on your 'ploughmans'  is lovely. Add to that a bit of cheddar or Stilton, tomato, pickle and salad garnish, complete with a chunk of fresh bread...Delightful !

Is the jelly, Aspic or whatever? And why the aversion to it, I reckon it's what makes the pork pie.

Margie, does this mean we can never share a slice?

Nice to hear from you too, little Melissa. I trust you are well?

• Like 1

I've been vegetarian for well over 40 years but, as a child, we had the pork pie for breakfast on Christmas Day tradition. I only ate the pastry. Dad was very picky and always liked his pork pies from a certain butcher somewhere around the Denman Street area and from them he'd order a large pie, along with whatever the family was having for Christmas dinner. It was never turkey or goose as my parents didn't like them. Most often, it was pork. I rarely ate much of it. I was more interested in the stuffing and brussel sprouts.

The wife gave our daughter’s boyfriend most of the pork pie I was planning to eat on Christmas morning. He only ate the meat - leaving the pastry and jelly on his plate.

And he ate all the leftover sausage rolls.

I know he’s from Kirkby in Ashfield, but really! :(