xmas pork pie breakfast

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

Both sides of my family were from Sneinton and raised there in the 1930s - 1940s. They had a Christmas Pork Pie tradition but it wasnt for breakfast. Traditionally a large Pork Farm Pork Pie ( and not any other type of Pork Pie mind) was the centre-piece of a large cold buffet meal for the entire extended family and as there wasnt room for all at the table, some could eat off their laps. By tradition this took place on Boxing Day and as you might imagine the slices of pie were thin but enjoyed by all none the less and always accompanied by pickles, mixed pickles and pickled onions. A few years back I decided to try to renew this family tradition, buying a large "Pork Farms" Pork Pie from Marks and Sparks. Pork Farms my XXXXX !!! Tasted nothing like it and now I know why - they now come from Witshire and the Pork is not prepared in the same way. One huge disappointment and a mistake I wont repeat. You see sometimes the good old days really were....... The GOOD old days!!

• Upvote 2

My fella is from Burton on Trent. He's always had Birds Pork Pie on Christmas morning since he was a child and his Dad still does, so not necessarily a Nottingham thing

• Upvote 1

I bought a Morrisons 'basics' Pork Pie and found it better quality than all of those double the price in the fancy multi coloured wrappers.The Pork Farms quality days are long gone...their meat pies and sausages were excellent too but they never did get the hang of Cornish Pasties.

How come south of Swindon Cornish Pasties are to die for,but up here you could use the pastry to concrete the drive.

:biggrin: Anyone ever tried a 'Dickinson and Morrison' pork pie?; now they were tasty, very very tasty the last time I indulged................ :)

Yes me, and you are right they are very very good.

Mind you, I might be a little bias because I come from The Vale of Belvoir and when I was young, tuesday used to be market day and a lot of women, like my mother used to go to Melton, and come home with a Dickinson and Morrison's pork pie in their bag for tea............

There used to be a Pork Farms shop in melton, but even on market day, there were not a lot of people in the shop, but the Dickinson and Morrison shop, had a long line of women waiting to buy a pie, That has to say somthing about quality and taste.................................

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tip re Morrison's pork pies. my nearest Morrison's is 90 miles away but you can be sure I will be calling in next time I'm down that way! :)

Forget Morrisons - it is Dickenson & Morris - like it says on the wrapper !

YOUR right there, I made a right mess of it...., for some reason, I saw Morrisons written by Jackson and for some unknown just kept repeating the mistake even though I knew it was Dickinson & Morris........ I am a teapot :Fool:

:hand: Hi Fellas, most sorry about calling the Pork Pie makers: 'Dickinson and Morrison', rather than 'Dickinson and Morris'; the reason I probably called them that is because one is able to buy this Pork Pie of the most epicurean excellence from Morrison's - to answer Michael's question. I have known the Co-op to occasionally stock them. :biggrin:

:hand: Hi Fellas, most sorry about calling the Pork Pie makers: 'Dickinson and Morrison', rather than 'Dickinson and Morris'; the reason I probably called them that is because one is able to buy this Pork Pie of the most epicurean excellence from Morrison's - to answer Michael's question. I have known the Co-op to occasionally stock them. :biggrin:

You want to try Dickinson & morris shop in Melton Mowbray, they make fresh hand made ones there, and when they are still fresh and warm, straight out of the oven, they taste even better.............

:) Hi MeltonStilton, here's hoping for a trip out to Melton Mowbray this week for a visit to the Pork Pie shop - have bus pass ready.

PS: Thank you for the advice - real gentlemanly of you.

PPS: Like your metaphor: "I am a teapot" - think I'll borrow this; the saying I mean, not the teapot! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Christine,

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading your post...

Once again I am tempted to give it a like, due to your dis-ambiguous rhetoric. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Was following this topic as my dad worked at pork farms in 1970s, mentioned to my wife that Dickinson and Morris pork pies were getting "rave reviews". We found them in Waitrose and they were lovely, wife is now a convert to pork pies. I have lived in the north of england since getting married, on our next visit to relatives i think we will visit Melton Mowbray.

not stopped in melton in a long while but might try it next time we that way were is ths pie shop piggy loves pork pies i dont mind them but got to be really good for me to really like them no cheap muck for me.

Never mind Melton Mowbray, if you're ever in Lincoln get a Curtis's pork pie. I was brought up on having pork pie for breakfast every Sunday as well as Christmas (still do) but that was living in Lincolnshire in the 1950s before we moved to Nottingham. I'd always thought it was a Lincolnshire custom, in fact when I was living in Nottingham people expressed surprise at the thought of pork pie for breakfast.

No disrespect to Pork Farms, but I've always considered them as bog standard pork pies - mind you I'm quite happy to get one when they have them in the local Tesco, as I discovered when I came to South Wales that this is not a great pork pie area and it's sometimes difficult to get them at all.