xmas pork pie breakfast

Trevor #155

The pie's have actually come from Cole's believe it or not ! We had one for a trial run last week.

She saw them in the deli as a new item, made by I think BJ Foods, but will check for you. They only seem to stock the one size, but they are one of the best Australian versions I've tasted.

Obviously not quite up to the old Pork Farms standards but definitly getting there, must be an ex pat making them.

Just thought we are in the West at present, and you are over East so maybe not stocked your end, but worth a look.

Sorry don't like mustard !

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand why vegans want their food to look like meat. If your vegan, fine, but don't pretend you're not by tarting your food up as something that its not. You  wouldn't want us meat eaters

Best way to eat pork pie cut it in half scoop out all the disgusting grey interior & filthy jelly & chuck it in the bin & eat the pastry or give it the dog  

Hello.Only just joined so reply may be late.My grandfarther.who came from Hucknall,served on H.M.S. Royal Oak at the battle of Juttland.Being away at sea one christmas he and his mate who came from Ma

Thanks banjo48.................Always found that W.A. was more allied to the U.K. in many things over and above the eastern states.

I have kept on trying pork pies every now and then over the years but find the pastry wappy, hard or just crap or the meat second rate. Had decided some time ago that the only place that I was going to get a decent pork pie was Nottingham.

The same for black pudding. Used to love that as well but down here in Oz, I am never sure whether I will finish up in the emergency ward.

Salami is something else though......the Eyeties know how to make that and it is beautiful, especially the hot variety. Have some Italian friends who make their own and it is out of this world!

The same for black pudding. Used to love that as well but down here in Oz, I am never sure whether I will finish up in the emergency ward.

So no bacon & and black pudding(seasoned with black pepper) toasties then Trevor ;)

• Upvote 1

Trevor, sometimes it's spot the Aussie over here! that many new poms arriving daily, the word must have got out ! Lol.

I used to have a Spanish fellow that was one of my customers in Perth, he made his own Choritzo sausage to die for. He also had a smoke house in his garden where all sorts of goodies were cold smoked.

And yes the Eyeties make the best home made Salami's and small goods it's a fact.

• Upvote 1

Crikey, all this talk of food and I'm on the settee podged and its only mid afternoon on Christmas Eve. Burp !!!!!

• Upvote 1

Christmas morning in New Basford us kids in our house always had to have Pork Farms Pie for breakfast and a tot of Whisky in you tea. We also had an orange as a treat wrapped up under the tree.

Had Christmas dinner (turkey +++++ lots) yesterday as the wifes son went off to see his father & SM today

We had beef tonight + lots of trimmings @ 6pm

Dinner now settled & about to have mince pies with clotted cream :):)

hi popothepixie , yes your dad was dead right , I am almost 70 . I still do it to this day. We have pork pie and pickles on Christmas day morning and boxing day morning. My dad did it and my granddads and grammars did it. All my grandparents died well into their eighties. I ask my granddad why we ate pork pie and pickles on Christmas mornings and he said that his dad who was born in 1856 told him it was because it celebrated the harvest, the pork pie was made from preserve pork with salt and pepper & spice , Onions cauliflower cucumber etc. were all pickled to preserve them hence pickles like pickle Lilly, pickled onion, pickled cabbage, etc. etc ,and they celebrated it at Christmas. if you think about it I suspect there were not many fresh fruit and veg around in the distant past. certainly no fridges or freezers. I hope this helps to answers your query . My family, parents, grandparents and great grandparents have been doing it for donkey's years. best regards don

• Upvote 2

Just having Blue Stilton & crackers for supper. :hungr:

I LOVE 'Blue Stilton'.........but for some reason always meks me 'Tabs goo red,.........

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I didn't have owt for breakfast or dinner last Xmas, I was semi comatose in bed with flu, that's the second time I've had flu over Xmas, the last time was 20 years ago, I did manage the pork pie breakfast then though, washed down with Famous Grouse.

• Upvote 1