... probably before your time but did you know a mick brittle who lived at 208?...

Rings a distant bell for me...did he have a brother named Ken?

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always found quickies to be enjoyable, Blondie. I like a quick drink every now and then. (What were you thinking?)

I had my first ever pint in the Cocked Hat. I lived just behind the pub on Withern Road and as a kid in the summer used to sit in the garden at the back with a bottle of pop and a packet of Smiths cri

At lunchtime on the day that England won the World Cup in 1966 I played in a band at the Cocked Hat. Can't remember the name of the band or even too much about the day (except for England winning of

Hi

I lived at the Cocked Hat from 1957 till 1968 but carried on working there till 1972 if you think it was bad then, it got a lot worse in later years.

Val

My Mum and Dad had their wedding reception in the cocked hat (nice!) in 1966

Apparantly my grandfather was a regular in there 1955-1963. Used to sell flowers in there apparantly. Charles (Charlie) Hattersley anyone? never met him myself, died in 63 thanks to his fondness for Cocked hat booze :-)

• 4 years later...

hellothere I'm glad to say that I remember 'The Cocked Hat' in its heyday: Summer Sunday evenings spent running around its Rose Gardens with sister and friends whilst mum, dad and relations sat laughing and talking, enjoying a well earnt drink before the busyness of another Monday morning. :biggrin:

PS: Could write loads on the loveliness of the once 'Cocked Hat'........................

Did my underage boozin' in the bob hole at The Beacon just down the road. Drinkin' out my mothers glass of Mackeson. Her mother (my Grandmother) lived on Minver Cresc. so the Beacon was nearest.

• 1 year later...

the cocked hat brings some memmorys my dad was in there every night he loved his dominos and his darts and me and my mum was in the music room singing away i met my first boyfriend there he use to live just down the road from cocked hat his name was goargie williams and he loved my dads home made wine lol and has a kid while my mam and dad was in the pub we was having orangeade and chrisps and playing in the rose garden and the chippy just down the road you got a big bag of chips for a shilling them were the days lol x

• Upvote 2

I was a regular in the Cocked Hat in the late '50s - early 60s. I was a member of the darts team; not the Kimberly Breweries League but the Forest Supporters League. I have to say that I never once saw trouble either in the pub or outside of it. Bill Frame was the landlord - ex-Leicester City player and kept it well. One of the regulars was Dollar Smith, ex well-known pre-war boxer with countless tales of those days.

• 1 month later...

i remember the Cocked Hat, loved that sign outside, met the first wife there in 1966, her dad used to come to us about 10:20pm straight from work, at Wilford Power station, he would have 2 pints of mild straight away, the first pint never even touched the sides, we lived at the back of the pub on Shipley Road, only 1 house between the pub and the road but we had to walk from Cocked hat to Colbey Rd, up to Woodfield or Welbeck then back to Shipley Rd, still was worth it, really miss seeing it, travel round there at least twice a year just to see the old place,

The PDSA mobile clinic used to park on the right side of the car park near the road. I took our dog there, it was very cheap, I remember.

Now,now plantfit, keep it clean. LOL

I had my first ever pint in the Cocked Hat. I lived just behind the pub on Withern Road and as a kid in the summer used to sit in the garden at the back with a bottle of pop and a packet of Smiths crisps with the little blue salt wrapper.

• Upvote 3
  • 6 months later...

At lunchtime on the day that England won the World Cup in 1966 I played in a band at the Cocked Hat.

Can't remember the name of the band or even too much about the day (except for England winning of course).

One thing I do remember is that when we all got home and were unloading our gear "the manager" realised that we had not been paid the correct agreed fee.

This had been our very first "paid" booking, so feeling totally irate and not knowing at the time what we may have been letting ourselves in for, we went back that evening and "demanded" the rest of our money.

Without any hesitation the extra amount was fished out of the till and handed over with a request to come back at Christmas to play there again.

I also remember everyone being very friendly and helpful in the pub as even though we gave a pretty poor performance we were appreciated for effort (or was it cheek?)

Never did go back as the band split up in November and we all went our separate ways.

• Upvote 3

Can't believe people are still reminiscing about the Cocked Hat. Not sure if I can remember your Grandad Anne Marie but think there was a Kennedy family lived on Broxtowe Lane. A lot of bands played there in the 60's some were from London. I lived there from 1957 till 1968 but carried on working there till 1972.

• Upvote 1

I can remember the Cocked Hat, what a dump it was, but it was lively and fun, there were some good groups on from time to time -----My hubby ran a butcher's shop at the bottom of Bells Lane with his dad, Joe Taylor & Son for years, we lived there and sometimes walked up there for a quickie.........very njoyable...

• Upvote 1