Old Market Square, Nottingham 1958

Hey Ashley,

I think the vist to the council house was for the mandatory civic tiffin.

Images show off the buildings though and it seems we had a sunny day for once.

When the Clifton Bridge was opened the road from the bridge to the Nottingham Knight was not completed and of course what we now call the A453 wasn't a trunk road.

The A453 was the Nottingham to Ashby trunk road and went through Beeston and Long Eaton to Sawley Bridge, Castle Donington etc. The A453 was only re-routed over Clifton Bridge and south of the Trent in the 1980's

Ayup Littlebro,

I think the plaque is on the south side of the old bridge just before the cycle track takes a steep dive to the road below, accessible from the cycle track very easily, either end of the old bridge used to be or still is plaque's with a picture of a Pheonix on which I believe was on the coat of arms for the Clifton family, it also featured on the badge for the Fairham school together with a picture of the bridge.

Hope this has helped

Rog

One of the old man's favourite sunday morning tandem rides after the bridge had been opened was via Wollaton Park, through the Derby Road gatehouse, across to Lenton Lane via the canal tow path then linking up with the then single bridge which had the distinction of having a cycle path which carried on all the way through the Clifton Estate. We then took the little road which went through Thrumpton and Barton to Radcliffe on Soar, no power station then, instead there was a little brick engine shed at the side of the road containing a small shiny tank engine that was used to pull the gypsum trains down to a wharf on the Soar Navigation.

We then cut across to the A6 which also had a cycle path then home via Sawley and the tow path of the Erewash Canal, usually calling in at a pub backing on to the canal at Sandiacre whose name escapes me, a pleasant trip on a sunny day.

Thrumpton and Barton to Radcliffe on Soar, no power station then, instead there was a little brick engine shed at the side of the road containing a small shiny tank engine that was used to pull the gypsum trains down to a wharf on the Soar Navigation.

I think that must have been The Lady Angela..if the driver Ernie was in a good mood us village kids would get a ride on the footplate.The line and engine shed has disappeared now.

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/53/Angela.htm

I had no idea it was still with us, incredible that the engine has survived into preservation and is still working, it's looks just as I remember it in the 50's.

I recall that on a sunday morning it was usually outside the shed being maintained and polished, presumably by Ernie.

It would be fantastic if this engine could be brought back to Ruddington and used on the GCR North, I've no doubt that it must have been used to shunt wagons on and off the main line at Rushcliffe Halt, it must be rare for an industrial steam engine to work over it's old haunts.

From Wikipedia, List of rolling stock preserved on the South Devon Railway

Lady Angela – a small Peckett 0-4-0ST shunting locomotive (works number 1690, built in 1926), currently out of service due to thin tyres.

Needs to go to Kwik Fit!

20061015SouthDevonRailway9.jpg

20061015SouthDevonRailway11.jpg

20061015SouthDevonRailway10.jpg

They used to be rubber, believe it or not, on the Paris Metro trains, must have had a steel flange round the back though, I don't know whether they are still like that, it made them run incredibly qiuetly, very wierd sensation.

The last time I was there they were certainly still rubber . As we remarked on how quiet they were compared with some of the rolling stock on the London underground , although there was always a smell of burning rubber (In my opinion)

• 3 years later...