Curtis Grove

I was born at 2 Curtis Grove, Wilford Road in 1960. We moved to Hyson Green about 6 years later.

I now live back in The Meadows on The Embankment. Despite looking at a couple of 1960's maps of Nottingham, I cannot find Curtis Grove. Please can someone help. Thanks in anticipation.

Could it have been a terrace?? If so it wouldn't be on standard maps.

I lived off Briar Street and the terrace I lived in, Osman Terrace wasn't shown on maps.

Summat wrong there Den, Bosworth Road was only crossed by two streets, Briar Street and Hawthorne Street. Bosworth Road ended just past the school on one side and the "Stute" on the south side. There was a fence across the bottom of Bosworth Road with playing fields behind it and then Clifton Colliery tips behind them.

It's not on the later, that is after Clifton Bridge was opened either. I suspect it was a terrace, not a street.

Hi,

Curtis Grove is listed as being off Wilford Road in the attached directory which shoud be west of the railway.I can find census records for 1901 but these do not locate the position along Wilford Road.

Curtis Street & Terrace is shown as being off Mayfield Grove to the east of the track.

I have a map showing Curtis Street but no evidence of Curtis Grove.

The link below will take you to the directory which is well worth saving, it's a PDF file.

Nottingham Street Directory 1902

He does say 1960, I lived off Briar Street at that time not 100 feet away from Bosworth Road, looking at a map of that period, there is no such street.

It had to be a terrace as none of the terrace's are listed on normal street maps of the period.

At a rough guess, I'll bet it was a terrace on Hawthorne Street.

That's a very old map Lynmee, the rail tracks were pulled up years before I lived in the area. All coal from Clifton went to the power station next door in my days.