Ericssons Payroll Robbery

I was talking to the father-in-law this Christmas, he recalled witnessing the Ericssons payroll robbery on Trafalgar Road in the late 1950's (probably 1958) but his memory is not now what it was. I cannot find anything about it on the WWW.

Does anyone have any recollection of the event?

Happy New Year to all Nottstalgians

I weren't even born, but if my sister has a say in it, then it was me , so I may as well admit to it now and save any arguments!!!!!!!!!!!!!

,,,, actually - this reminds me,,,,

when we lived at Campbell Drive - Carlton (1954 to 61) a neighbour of ours was caught for robbing somewhere,,,,

a parrotly he hid a load of dosh under his dustbin,,,, & as we played with his kids,,, had several times moved the bin when making 'dens',,,, the dad was always annoyed at this,,,, we thought he was just upset about making his garden untidy,,,,, mmmmmmmmmmm,,, I wonder,,,,,

I won't mention his name Justin Case,,,,,,

Yeh saw her walk by the window...she was a tall girl.....i was on the 3rd floor

I was talking to the father-in-law this Christmas, he recalled witnessing the Ericssons payroll robbery on Trafalgar Road in the late 1950's (probably 1958) but his memory is not now what it was. I cannot find anything about it on the WWW.

Does anyone have any recollection of the event?

It happened during the first 4 months of 1956. I had just left school and started as an apprentice at Ericssons, starting in the machine shop overlooking Nelson Road. I didn't see the robbery but it happened just outside the shop at the junction with Trafalgar Road - I believe the Chief Security Officer was injured. The machine shop was just to the left of the main entrance - I left there in April 1956 for the training centre.

I recalled the robbery a few days ago and found this site by Googling.

JL

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to the site,

Thanks for the info, I am surprised that there is so little info available for what at the time must have been a huge news event.

I have been told now that it is thought that the timing of the robbery followed the opening up of Lilac Grove to join the Humber Road Bridge. I have a map now showing that Lilac Grove stopped around where Stuart Hall's garage was. Parrs abatoir etc onwards did not exist.