Ericssons Payroll Robbery

• 1 year later...

I seem to remember a payroll robbery at Ericssons around 1965, they were caught within 48 hours. For some reason I think they drank in the Malt Shovel, Beeston. The brother of the girl I was going out with at the time was friends with them. I believe they may have been armed, and that they got sentences up to 13 years.The leader's surname was prefixed Mac or Mc.

I was hanging out at Jack's Cafe, Villa Street, Beeston at the time, it was a bikers place.

• 5 years later...

I remember the Ericssons payroll robbery. I cannot remember exactly which year it was, but I was working as a porter on Beeston station at the time.

The payroll for the railway staff was always fetched from the Westminster Bank on the corner of the High Road and Wollaton Road by the station master. He always went there in one of the parcel delivery vans. The week after the robbery, he did the usual trip but took aslong with him four porters in the back of the van, all armed with brake sticks. Nothing like taking precautions lol I think the year would have been 1958/

• 1 year later...

A few more newspapers have been added to the archives since this thread started . This from a Hartlepool paper Sept/Oct 1956

33604347531_35dba073e0_b.jpg

33576965602_a45903dfdd_b.jpg

They used to identical cars to fool the police. They stayed in the caves in Nottingham for a couple of days then escaped in a truck with with a false floor made of scaffold tubes which they almost chocked to death under. I remember my grandfather telling me how they had planned it. Good bit of family history. 

I'm  amazed that the 'rent woman' was never robbed. She looked to be late forties (older than me mam') and walked the estate with a satchel full of cash every week. There must have been  dozens of rent collectors all over the city, did any of them ever  have the money stolen?

Spencer , did your grandfather say why or how a London gang happened to select a far off telephone factory to rob ?

The identical car's they used were Riley Pathfinders I believe. When they were making their getaway along the A52 towards Grantham, some of the discarded cash bags were found where I once lived at Saxondale, so I was led to believe.

Can't see anything much about the getaway cars except that a black one was used (so that narrows it down ! ).

This Land Rover was used to ram the wages car.

32931824943_9299a45742_b.jpg

No Davidw he never said how they got that bit of work. After a while in London your m O gets noticed so London gangs  were glad to be working out of London.i believe in that Time it was up there with one of the biggest cash robberys in Britain. An They never recovered the money. Iv been searching for years to find out more about this has his passed now, so it's nice to see any pictures or knowledge you have people. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1