A Football Question for Beefsteak

I realise that you are an ardent Magpie supporter so I apologise for introducing the Forest thread yesterday, but listening to the commentary on Radio Nottingham for a change was quite exciting and just like old times, thank you Internet for allowing me to do it.

Anyway, I have a question.

During the early 70's I bought a Zenit E SLR from Dixons, complete with fixed Soviet 56mm lens, nice lens, naff camera, but I didn't think so at the time, after the cameras I'd had up to then it was real advanced technology to me, even if it was a CCCP con like the gas oven lookalike that they intended to send to the moon.

One saturday I fancied trying my hand at a few footie pics, as photography from the stands was frowned apon at the time, I smuggled it in to a match at Meadow Lane. I even stood in a strange, to me, spot in order to get the sun behind me, I usually went in the Kop or the wooden stand on the other side, especially if Percy was about.

Thing is, I can't for the life of me recall the date or the result, I know it was West Brom and probably in the Second Division, something tells me it was 1-1 or possibly a 2-1 win to Notts.

Have you any idea so I can write it on the back of the pictures, something I usually did, but not in this case.

I realise that the pictures are a bit naff, more like 'Spot the Ball' in some cases, but it's at least it's a record of what to me was a lovely historic ground with more character than the current grey 'Metal Mickey' will ever have, and more welcoming and interesting than the City Ground ever was, nice relatively modern ground now though, in comparison to some of it's contemporaries.

The great Les Bradd, a great player and nice bloke, much underated in the footballing world at the time and I always thought badly treated by the club when they got into the first division and offloaded him without giving him a chance of playing in the top flight, he deserved the chance.

This is confirmation that it was West Brom, he's looking for support while being tracked by the equally great John Wile, someone who should have had an England cap instead of some of the pillocks that did at the time and cost us a World Cup place.

notts1.jpg

It looks like Les had scored here, he may well have done, but I have the feeling that the goalie made a great save.

notts2.jpg

In this one, it looks like Stubbsy was trying to head it over to Les and failed.

notts3.jpg

The other two pics seem to be goal mouth scrambles at either end.

notts4.jpg

notts5.jpg

There you go, football photography was not something I did very often, I have some pics of the Forest V Newcastle replay at Goodison taken at night, not very good but featuring the other generally internationally ignored local great, Duncan McKenzie, sorry, shouldn't mention him on a Notts thread.

So what can you tell me about this match Beefsteak and were you there with your scarf and rattle.

Incidentally, some of the adverts around the ground are quite interesting are'nt they.

March 23rd 1974 Nott's 1 West brom 0. Stubbs the scorer

September 21st 1974 0-0

March 6th 1976 lost 0-2

Thats it for the 70's.

As for Les Bradd , he wasn't off loaded, he retired and joined County 75 (The fund raising arm)

Not true, Les didn't retire from Notts when they got into the first division, he was passed on to Stockport and ended his days at Wigan as a centre half, a good one too by all accounts.

You were obviously a youngster at the time and didn't appreciate what was happening, lets leave it at that.

beg pudding

He did come back to work for county 75 after retirement.

A thouroughly nice bloke . He used to lay on a coach to away games , it was always 50p more than the normal coachs , but we used to stop off for a pub lunch on the way plus we had videos and quizes . If we were playing up Manchester way we would stop at a working mens club in Buxton (His place of birth) and the butties were included in the price !! Happy days .!!

But hey , don't even think to thank me for answering your question !!!!!!

Sorry about that, I did intend to, but got distracted, I had to go and put the tree and decorations back in the loft then sort out the tea, then the missus took over the computer for the night.

The thing is, I have a pile of old footy programmes going back to the mid 60's, I may even have one of that game, which I suspect was either of the two in 1974. I know I have a programme from the home match following Les Bradds signing which contains a write up on him. Unfortunately I have a bloody great bed stashed in the garage and it's hard to get to anything at the moment and I can't drag it out in this snow we have today.

If I find anything interesting I'll scan it for you.

Cheers for your help.