Anyone Remember 'The Shed' in Beeston around the mid 70s..."stainless steel disco" ??.....I was one of the four folk that ran it ( with Pete, Nobby and Tony )...Beeston was a huge skinhead area at the time and me being a lowly hippy used to get beat crap out of every week...oh joy......wonderful memories eh......Life eh. !!

we also did the Discos at the white Lion Beeston and St barnabas church hall in Chilwell.

• 1 year later...

I don't know a great about Lenton,,,, but I found that link fascinating,,,,,

are there any more - from different areas ?

THE LENTON TIMES originated from THE LENTON LISTENER the was originally a 2 page news letter produced by the lenton commuity centre commitee and was taken out to all members and all the local houses between Dunkirk flyover and derby rd a large area to cover when you think that only about 10 of us did all the delivering took about a week to deliver all the copies this was produced every 3 month.Several of our elderly residents asked if we could include items of local history it soon took of and became to big for the commitee to continue Steve Zaleskie who was on our commitee at the time and one of the driving forces behind this magazine along with members of the local history group took on the running of this magazine and its name was eventualy changed to the lenton TimeS

Its main contents have always covered the area in and around Lenton but some times other areas and subjects are covered. I still enjoy reading this magazine although I no longer live in Lenton because the content is so interesting it now comes out about twice a year and can be brought from the tourist information centre side of the council house.there is also a lenton times web site were you can read some of the old copies

t

Ted Marriott is a regular contributor to the magazine and his articles are always interesting he is a member of a large family who have lived in the lenton area for a long time.

Incedentally the John in the picture class of 57 I believ is my husbands brother John Piggott would be about that age then and it looks a lot like his old photoes I have got.

Anyone Remember 'The Shed' in Beeston around the mid 70s..."stainless steel disco" ??.....I was one of the four folk that ran it ( with Pete, Nobby and Tony )...Beeston was a huge skinhead area at the time and me being a lowly hippy used to get beat crap out of every week...oh joy......wonderful memories eh......Life eh. !!

we also did the Discos at the white Lion Beeston and St barnabas church hall in Chilwell.

yES VERY WELL.But before your time in the sixties when it was the hang out for local and visiting motorcyclists along with Jacks Cafe Villa St Beeston and Robins Cafe Queens Rd Beeston this was were they are ding up old houses and the shop at the moment near the childrens play centre..

do you think you would have fitted in any better then would you have been a mod or a rocker a bike and leathers or a scooter suits and a parka and of course the music some could be hered in all kind of places and was interchangeable but some was one or the other. come on you lot what were you if your that age or what do you think you would have been if you were

As regards the music most if not all the "rockers" music was being made by mod groups, The Who, Small Faces, Stones etc even Hendrix was geared to a mod audience, unless you count the dated rock and roll stuff, it wasn't till later that the "Rock" bands Sabbath, Judas Priest, Floyd etc came along, could be argued the mod bands had learnt to play!

• 5 years later...

I used to visit the shed from 1956 until 1960. Walter Hayes was in charge of everything then. Arthur Peel used to stand at the door to collect your entrance fee, I think it was 6d.

I used to go most nights. Rock n Roll music was played every night except Wednesdays and Sundays. There was a café come tea bar at one end of the dance room. Whilst you were drinking your cuppa, the floor would be bouncing up and down to the rhythm of the dancers. No one was supposed to go into the control room where the two amplifiers were, but many went in to make requests for their favourite tunes. I remember outside there used to be a tennis court and a roller skating rink. I think that the rink had to be closed down because of surface damage, but I might be wrong on that. I can't recall there was ever any trouble during the time I frequented the place....it was always a happy atmosphere. I met my wife of 34 years there. Happy Times

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...