We're actually more polite now than then

Yep I agree with Kev, the driver was isolated in his little cab, but I don't remember anyone saying thankyou to the conductor when they got off the bus though

Rog

Unless it was a lady clippy........

The only time I will say thank-you to the driver is when I have enjoyed the ride....

The drivers on the Trent/Barton bus's are all very polite if not though all good drivers.....the times I've been thrown from one side to the other when the driver mis-judges a left/right bend.

Bip.

Always thanked the drivers of Barton Buses but they were mostly single deckers with the driver near the door even though they may have had a conductor. Believe this habit went back into the 1970's. Always remember that the driver would get off and help ladies on if they had a pushchair.

They also used to deliver parcels to outlying areas particularly in the Vale of Belvoir and Loughborough areas.

I remember my dad always said thank you to the driver way back in the 60s, so it rubbed off on me and I have always done it.

Re buses, I rarely use such but had a right row on one last time I did, this arrogant person (could say more) said I was sitting in his seat, I said seats not reserved but he said he always sat there and actually phoned the police, they were no better said I had to move, so I told him straight "if it's that ****** important you drive the ******* thing!"

• 1 year later...

The main bus services that run down Mansfield Road through Redhill where I catch 'em to town are operated by Trent Barton and Nottingham City Transport. I find a world of difference in the courtesy of the service provided. I'm not sure if Trent Barton drivers receive training in this stuff but they are invariably well-mannered, friendly and welcoming. One thing I find they nearly always do is acknowledge you when you step on to the bus with a simple 'hello' or an 'are you alright?' Conversly I always make a point of greeting them when I get on and thanking them personally as I get off. My usual experience on City Transport buses is for the driver to simply sit there as one gets on, sometimes barely look at you, and just wait for you in silence to put the money in the slot.

First of all, I'd like to say that this is a generalisation and does not of course infer that all City Transport drivers are like this. I really feel for some of them and the abuse and bad behaviour they have to deal with at times too. I think with that, and the difficulties and frustrations of driving on our roads these days it must be a helluva trying job.

I've often wondered why the Trent Barton drivers are so different. The Pronto service that I sometimes use travels all the way out to Chesterfield from Nottingham so a contributory factor might be that they are not stuck driving around congested city roads all shift long. They also still manually take your money from you and administer change where necessary too so the human interaction is more prevalent still. None of this still fully explains to me why jumping on one of their buses is a much nicer experience than the alternative City Transport services. Whatever the reason is I doff my cap to them. I think they do a pretty fine job and because of that I will always ignore the City Transport buses and wait for the Trent Barton bus to come whistling down the road.

It's always been the same, and I think you hit the nail on the head re the longer journey they make.The drivers have always had a ;village' mentality of politeness when dealing with individuals, like the old days with folks from a neighbouring village.

As a kid 50 odd years ago on the Bartons number 10 to Keg'orth..I remember the driver hopping off the bus to leave packages at houses that were on his route.Friendly personal service...long gone nowadays.

Up here in Caithness it is so, so, different regarding buses and politeness, everyone thanks the driver when they get off. This is mainly due to the fact that they dont have any "official" stops (except at the start and finish of the journey). If you are on a bus route all you have to do is put your hand out and the driver will stop and pick you up, and he will drop you off exactly where you want him to, even if this means him stopping in the middle of the A9 and holding up a bit of traffic for a few minutes. He will also help Pensioners and Young Mum's to get on board.

Brilliant service and well worth a "Thank You".

Takes me back to the days in Notts when you went on an organised coach trip, can you remember when you would pass the hat round and have a collection for the driver??

Oh Happy Days!!!

Owdtite....!