So as not to hijack Bambers thread.

Any one remember there age for their first solo bus ride , I was seven and went from Carlton Square to my Mamas in Lenton on the old 39 (In 1968) that included what seemed like a massive walk down Lenton Boulevarde Via Johnson road to Cycle Road!!

I remember I would be about 8/9years old and went from the 68 terminus at Clifton to Clifton bridge to go fishing in the Trent about where the Fairham brook runs into it, I also lost me watch on that fishing trip but found it again in the brook the following day, It was still working.

Bus fare on that day was 3d

Rog

Probably tuppence worth on the Midland General B2 from Balloon Woods to Trowell Station so we could do a bit of train spotting when I was 7 or 8, I had permission from me mother too, as long as there were a gang of us.

It always seemed a long way at the time, nowadays it only takes minutes by car.

I can't remember the first train trip, probably to Grantham when I was about 11.

• Upvote 1

Go on then add trains too , Mine would have been with schoolmates to the footie at Meadow lane circa 72 making me about 11

9 or 10 ish....me dad was a bookie and i used jump on on the 31 into complete with package wrapped in newspaper n laggybands every sat morning....it wasnt till i was much older and had stopped doing the "Run" that i found out it was the shops weekly takings/robbings.....lol

• 2 weeks later...

6 or 7 I guess. We'd catch the 39 Trolley from Hooten Road to'n'from School at Carlton Square = 1d. Mind you - it was almost as bad getting up to Hooten Road from Campbell Drive as walking along the flat Foxhill Road (past Beefies).

A year or so after that - it would have been two buses to visit aunts in Bilborugh & Strelly.

I wouldn't let my kids that nowadays.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Brilliant RR slight echoes of LS Lowry in this one. So much of interest. Looks to me like a Yorkshire mill town workers trip as all the buses are going to Filey. I think the sign says East Ardsley Labour Club. 

The Ogden's cigarette sign reminded me that my grandad sometimes smoked Ogden's Flake tobacco.

Just had a look through the paintings on his website, would love one but sadly beyond my means.