Got to say, The Golden Fleece rings a bell but I don't know where from.

Most of my memories of steam are from going to Victoria train station on to our holidays. Going North into the tunnel for quite a few minutes with the smoke and steam coming into the carriage ( 2 long seats facing each other with a corridor outside) making the eyes smart etc.

I do also remember that you could walk down the corridor during the journey and lower the window in the door to have a 'deckers'

Did this once on the way back from Great Yarmouth - I'd be about 10 - and the Flying Scotsman nearly took me 'ed off!! wow.

Hi Frank,

There were 36 in the series, some were remamed.

35... but only 34 saw BR service as 4469 (the original Sir Ralph Wedgwood) was destroyed by a direct hit during a bombing raid, whilst inside the York shed roundhouse (now the National Railway Museum) during WWII.

Cheers

Robt P.

Got to say, The Golden Fleece rings a bell but I don't know where from.

A4 Golden Fleece was based at London Kings Cross 'Top Shed' for 20+ years, prior to transferring latterly to the Grantham allocation. Almost daily performer on the East Coast Main Line through Grantham, Newark and Retford.

Cheers

Robt P.

Bloody hell never realised or I had forgotten how noisy those old rust buckets were wouldn’t do in this day and age for them coming in and out of Midland Station anymore would have to wear ear defenders on every trip into Nottingham.

Rob your head must be bursting with information on every subject under the sun from Bus timetables aeroplane makes and models and to where the puff puffs are or were.

I find the knowledge you have simply amazing you must get very frustrated when someone takes the Michael……

Bip.

A bit of a blurred picture, but an A4 in it's rightful place, Grantham 1958, heading north, in this case it's 60015 Quicksilver.

a4.jpg

The original Avocet was a class 89 electric, only one was ever built and it had a chequered career, looks familiar doesn't it, fortunately it's been preserved at the Crewe Heritage Centre.

89_orig.jpg

• 9 years later...

I once installed myself a Canon Gas miser in a small terraced house I owned in Darwen, Lancashire.  It gave out enough heat for the entire house.  Brilliant piece of engineering.  Could do with one right now - it  hasn't been above 0°C for more than a few hours since before Xmas.  Trouble is that we are not on gas mains out here in the sticks.

0 ain't cold try MINUS 21C, it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey here in southern Missouri.

Cowd here this morning. Around 26f. Got up to about an inch of snow.  I had an eye doctors appointment for 9.am.  He called to cancel it.  Rescheduled for tomorrow.  Highways are a mess from the looks of the tv pictures.  Everything stops here for a couple of flakes of snow.  It would be funny if it wasn't such a pain.  I just wanted to gerronweit.

Dogs loved it.  Ninety mph. Round the back yard.  They are not used to it.  Worst part is trying to dry their paws before Mrs. L will let 'em back in the house.  She is sick as a dog with this crud that's going around.  I'm ok so far.  Hope I don't gerrit.  If I do we'll both be up the creek. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

OMG, this comment reminds me of Edna ‘the original inebriate woman’.  A neighbour who lived opposite us when I was a child in Arnold.  She had the biggest dark ‘wheels’ on her lower legs from sitting on top of the fire.  This childless couple had a pair of Lassie dogs that they bred but they drank heavily as well.   She passed away at a young(ish) age sadly but he kept going for a few more years, during which he knocked our garden wall down while drunk. I got home one afternoon and found him attempting to re-build the wall, oh dear!  When he heard I was getting married he assumed he was invited, my parents were mortified, worrying about how he would or wouldn’t behave if he attended.  However, very sadly he’d lost his driving licence (what a surprise), been drinking a mile or so from home and staggered into the road (on Mapperley Plains) and was killed, just before our wedding.  A sad story. 

• Like 1

Still got a gas fire summat like that hanging on the living room wall, but it's disconnected from the gas.  There's an old Stelrad Vulcan back boiler behind it.  It's part of the next phase of 'battening down' for our dotage....  get the thing pulled out and replaced with something better.

Not so cold here.  The coldest I recall here was minus 13 a few years back, but at present only down to about -2 overnight.  Went for a walk this afternoon.. I wanted to go 'round' the hill then up it and back down to here.. but that didn't work out.  I felt really knackered after the first couple of Ks so tried a route I've not done for about 20 years.  Got quite disserrorienterrated at one point but after being stuck out in a freezing wind on the veritable epitome of a 'blasted heath'.. I got back onto a main road which I followed back home.  Strange walk.

Chilblains.. a blast from the past..  Winter snow, ill fitting wellies, woollen gloves and a general tendency to get too cold and too wet for too long.. led to many a child ending up with chilblains.. or that other horror 'hot aches' ..as frozen fingers and toes suddenly warmed up..

This afternoon I went out in long johns and trousers, a T shirt, long sleeved thermal vest, long sleeved sweatshirt and fleece, with a hat, scarf and 'thermal' gloves.  Just about enough....

What would you do here DJ it has been -46 here all week going down to -51 at night trusty Toyota started every time on its 12 year old battery but the suspension being stiff it was like riding on a board suppose to warm up to -15 on Monday.