What with the sad demise of lots of local boozers, I thought id point out this nice little venue.

Its called Hotel Deux, and is exactly opposite the Polish Club on Pelham Rd***** off Sherwood Rise.

There are always four real ales on offer, which are changed fairly regularly, currently they have one called Arbor Light, which is very similar to Harvest Pale, very nice!

Alongside that (at the moment) theres Hartington bitter, Everards Tiger, and Bishops farewell, also a nice brew!

They also have live music on a regular basis in "The Guitar Bar" adjoining.

I didnt realize at the time of my very first visit, the owner Rob, and myself had worked alongside each other at the likes of Madison , and other nightclubs years before.

If you do try it, tell Rob I recommended you!

**** In fact, the main entrance is Clumber Rd, where the hotels car park is, which is opposite The Polish Club, but there is access from Pelham Rd by foot.

I just called into Tescoes and found this one, I wonder if it's on the shelves in Nottingham Tessies.

beer.jpg

This is produced by one of our local breweries, all proceeds go to the 92 Squadron fund which is sitting up on the North Norfolk Railway awaiting some boiler repairs before it can run again, so a worthy cause.

Interestingly enough, when the company still had a human face, Greene King sponsored the restoration of a Southern Railway 4-6-0 at our local railway museum, with the proviso of course that it was called Greene King, fair enough. It's up on the North Yorks Moors Railway now, fortunately without it's nameplates.

But don`t try this pub!

A GROUP of Muslims is seeking permission to continue to worship in a former pub.

The Jamiat Ahle Hadith group was given permission to use the old Le Grand pub as a temporary mosque in November 2007.

The permission, which allowed the group to worship there and use it as a learning centre, was originally granted for just 12 months.

Now the group is applying to permanently use the pub at the corner of Alfreton Road and Gregory Boulevard, between Hyson Green and Radford, as a place of worship.

Always thought the Grand was a nice little pub but perhaps regarded as too small in these 'modern' times.

The photo in the NEP shows the building to be a very good example of Victorian style and elegance. The ground swell of opinion against the mosque is huge.

1.Cars parked 3 abreast.

2 Some of the outbuildings demolished without council approval.

3.Doubt as to whether planning permission ever given for the conversion.etc-read the report

Would some kind person put the NEP photo on here to show what I mean.

Which pub was that Val?

Id guess it has to be either The Cocked Hat, or The Rose Grower.

I still have one of Wallys post card photo handouts that I got as a small kid, whilst standing with my grandad on Sneinton market.

'Magpies' Beer Festival'- The Meadow Club (Wheeler's Bar) - Meadow Lane.

Thursday 29th January - Sunday 1st February 2009

Thursday 4-11pm

Friday 11am-11pm

Saturday 11am-3pm, 5-11pm

Sunday 11am-3pm, 5-7pm

50 Real Ales & Ciders

Live Music Friday Evening

ADMISSION FREE - EXCEPT FRIDAY EVENING £1.50 (£1 FOR SUPPORTERS' CLUB, TRUST, LIFELINE AND CAMRA MEMBERS)

• 8 months later...

Looks a great beer festival Radfordred, I note with satisfaction that Greene King haven't managed to worm their slimey way in, they can't round here as they've been banned by CAMRA, so they hold their own, only nobody goes to them.

The sad thing is, apart from at beer festivals, where do you buy some of this stuff. There are some of our local breweries represented, Saffron from Henham I've vaguely heard of, but where do you buy it, I go through the village regularly but I don't even know where the brewery is.

A couple of weeks ago our local Sainsburies started selling some really wierd and wonderful stuff, much of it from Scotland and it was cheap too. What was odd, was that rather than stock it on the normal beer shelves they shoved it on a rack between the eggs and the milk, nowhere near, my missus found it by chance when she went to get a pint of milk and came back with several bottles of 80/-, Shropshire Lass, Taylors Tipple as well.

Well done Sainsburies, but take out the overpriced bottles of rip off GK next time and put these in it's place so people know where to find them.

I got a case of mixed Wormwood ales ( Don't worry Fynger, there is a cure!!)at Costco in Ellesmere port a couple of weeks back, 12 pint bottles for 10 quid , can't be bad. Tastey ale too especially "Hobgoblin"

Driving through St Peters St in Radford, a month or two back, and for the first time, noticed The Nottingham Brewerey at the side of The Plough, now Im always one for Locale, and decided to pop in for one.

I had a pint of Rock Bitter, fabulous beer! (I've had many more since) They also have Rock Mild, Legend, Bullion, other guest beers, real cider and scrumpy, and currently there's a tie up between the brewery and Smooth Radio, selling "Smooth Bitter" not to be confused with other makes so called smooth stuff!

And a strange coincidence in the "small world" category, the brewery owner Phil, and my mum have known each other 20 odd years, ( I knew of a Phil, who was involved in catering back then, but not in person) and even my daughter when she was about 4 had visited his premises)

Prices are really good too, a pint of Rock Bitter is currently £2.35, and you get a stamp to fill in a card, collect 10, and its a free pint, or glass of wine, also given with a stamp.

2 0r 3 of their beers won medals at the recent beer festival at Nottingham Castle too.

Where you been Craig mate???????

The Nottingham Brewery has been one of my favourites for many moons. I often buy a 36 pint take away polypin from there ...it costs £45. Ring up and place an order and they get it ready for when you want it....delich mmmm

Have you tried the EPA?

Here's a link to their web site http://www.nottinghambrewery.com/

Frank, Ive driven by the place a million times, and never been in, until that time.

As it is, I was in there tonight, last Mon, Thurs, and Saturday! Yes, Ive tried the EPA, but must say I have a penchant for the Rock bitter!

The last few Mondays, my mum has done a bit of a spread to add to the table of free food, which is a great idea, do you ever get in late afternoon(5 ish) early evening on a Monday? If so say hi if Im there, ask Phil the brewer, or Mel to point me out.

• 1 year later...

An excellent selection of real ales can always be has at the King Billy (King William IV) on the corner of Manvers st. and Eyre st.in Sneinton. The pub was re-opened a few years ago by the Blyth family and many local real ale drinkers will remember Jeff Blyth from Bunkers Hill and the Moot Hall, possibly the best ale in the country.

• 4 weeks later...