Reading the topic about Arnold wakes reminded me of watching the fair being set up from the upstairs resturant of the Mermaid chipshop .I always felt as if i was with the elite being allowed to eat up there .so on the way up Iwould make as much noise as i could on the wooden stairs as if to show off to the downstairs que. Sitting on the wooden seating banging my legs. the asssistant would shout the order down stairs through a tube. A muffled responce followed as if questioning the order. A few minutes later the rope started moving and as if by magic the chips appeared on a shelf. Those chips were fab. best in Arno in my opinion. it may have said Mermaid above the door but to us it was Atters. Can anyone remember this and the purple eyed lady that worked there.

Was this plaice (fish shop) on Front street near the co-op, demolished about 25 years ago? I remember one there with the rope pulley/lift and 2 large ladies working there.

Thats the one.next to the co-op it was replaced by T.G. stores .which later became savers. it was one of the few chippys that sold faggots or as Mansfield folk say savoury ducks

I remember The Mermaid well as I went to the British School across the road and also my pal's mum served in the fish shop for several years. Tend to agree it was much the best fish and chip shop in Arnold (of which there were many). Just a few that I can remember:

Hatters, Front Street

The Blue Circle, Front Street (still there)

Walkers fish shop, Front Street

Opposite The Greyhound pub, Nottingham Road (still there)

Opposite Wood Street on Front Street

Cross Street, opposite the dairy/Websters Scrap Yard

Easoms, Redhill road

Salop Street, Daybrook

I'm sure there were many more that I've forgotten.

Hatters was the chippy of choice for my gang of lads in the 60s. If flush we would go upstairs and sit in the window seats to watch the world go by. It was actually called Hatters before being taken over by the Mermaid. Our rival gang used the chippy at the top end of Front Street. Can't remember the real name but we knew it as "Joe Borwn's Chippy" after the leader of the gang who used it most.

Salop or Slop Street Chippy was run by a German lady. Many years after she left Slop Street I found her in a chip shop on Carlton Road and then later still, about 1975-80ish in a chippy in Dunkirk. She was a lovely lady but I suspect she may have had problems with locals being German and running a business just after WWII. I think a fish'n chips in the late 1950s was one shilling. Fritters 1d each and chips 3d for a huge bag.

Our rival gang used the chippy at the top end of Front Street. Can't remember the real name...

It was probably the Blue Circle chip shop (as it still is). There was another chip shop at the North end of Arnold which was owned by a family named Walker.

It was probably the Blue Circle chip shop (as it still is). There was another chip shop at the North end of Arnold which was owned by a family named Walker.

The one in question was on the left a few yards before you get to the cross roads at Cross St. & Coppice Road. I think Fine Fare had a building on or adjacent to the site in later years.

Not Arnold but Stan "waiting for chips" Bosworth's chip shop on North Gate New Basford was memorable for his chips plus unique round mince beef and onion pies

!hungr!

About 2 years ago i met the couple that owned the Mermaid chippy, they live on Mansfield road Redhill.

Another great Nottm Chipy was George's chippy on Sneinton Dale. He used to hide we schoolkids in the back of the shop when the headmaster drove down the dale looking for us at lunchtimes.

I reckon the chippy in question was beneath the "155" sign in picture No4. What say you?

BTW the Mermaid (Hatters) is smaller than I remember. Must be that it seemed bigger due to its importance in my younger life.